The Benefits of Lemon Water
Would you ever believe if someone was to tell you that the common lemons that you see in your house are packed with all types of nutrients, and that the benefits of lemon water are innumerable? Strange, but it is very much true.
Why is lemon water beneficial?
Lemons are full of nutrients, including vitamin C, B-complex, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. You will be surprised to hear that they contain more potassium than apples or grapes! Lemons are full of Vitamin C that is absolutely essential for us. And, Vitamin C is the first thing to come plummeting down when you are stressed. Your doctor may ask you to take an extra dose of Vitamin C during stressful days. But, a word of caution! Lemon juice can be bad for the enamel of your teeth, and so it is important to dilute it sufficiently before drinking it.
What are the benefits of lemon water?
We all know about lemon water benefits, and it is an excellent source of potassium - and potassium is good for the heart, brain, and the nerves. Let’s look at lemon water benefits and how good it could be for your health:
- Lemon juice promotes healthy digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract and also helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating. Lemons help flush out the toxins in your body by optimizing enzyme function, and stimulating the liver.
- Lemons can also be a great beauty aid and a great skin tonic. The antioxidants in lemon juice not only help decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too! It can also be applied to scars to reduce their appearance, and because it detoxifies your blood, you will have a radiant and glowing skin. The antioxidants found in vitamin C fight the damage caused by free radicals, and keeps your skin looking fresh. Getting enough vitamin C from lemons also helps the body to produce collagen, essential in smoothing out lines in the face. Since lemon water purges toxins from your blood, it would also be helping to keep your skin clear of blemishes and rejuvenates the skin from within your body.
- Drinking lemon juice regularly will not only reduce the acidity in the body, but will also remove uric acid in the joints, which is one of the main sources of inflammation in the body.
- Lemons can also help relieve toothaches and gingivitis, and keeps your mouth free from bad breath.
- Lemon water gives your body the much-required energy boost and also helps reduce anxiety and depression. Do you know that even the smell of lemons has a calming effect on the nervous system?
- Try to cut down on caffeine and caffeine-related products. We know that it can be very difficult to give up your morning cup of coffee or tea! But, try and replace that morning cuppa with a glass of hot lemon water. It will do wonders for you and you will feel refreshed all day.
- Do you want to shed some weight? Remember, lemons contain pectin fiber that helps in fighting hunger-pangs, and thereby helps you lose weight. You will soon find yourself looking at a slimmer waistline.
- 'Lemon Water for Health' - they say, as lemons boost your Immune System, as they are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They are high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function and also helps control blood pressure. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemons has excellent anti-inflammatory effects, and is used as complementary support for asthma and other respiratory symptoms, apart from enhancing iron absorption in the body. It is well known that iron plays an important role in immune function. Lemons also contain saponins, which have antimicrobial properties that may help keep cold and flu at bay. Warm lemon water is one of the most effective ways to fight viral infections and the accompanying sore throats.
- Lemons are loaded with a heap of health benefits, including vitamin C, medicinal values, and antibacterial properties. A glass of lemon juice contains less than 25 calories, but it is a rich source of nutrients like calcium, potassium, and pectin fiber.
- As the atomic structure of lemon juice is similar to the digestive juices found in the stomach, it tricks the liver into producing bile, which helps keep the food moving through your body and gastrointestinal tract smoothly. Lemon water also helps relieve indigestion or set right an upset stomach, and aids in digestion. The acids found in lemon juice encourage your body to process the food more slowly, and thereby slow down the process of absorption. The insulin levels remain steady and your body gets more nutrients out of the foods you consume.
- Lemon juice cleanses your system and is a diuretic. It helps flush out unwanted materials faster because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Therefore, toxins are released at a faster rate, and this keeps your urinary tract healthy. The citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function, stimulates the liver, and aids in detoxification. When the nutrients in the body are absorbed better, you will not have any bloating at all.
- One of the most important properties of Vitamin C is that it stimulates white blood cell production, which is vital for your immune system to function properly. Lemon juice promotes the process of healing. As vitamin C is found in abundance in lemons, it hastens the process of healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage. It is also an important nutrient in the maintenance of good health and recovery from stress and injury.
- Vitamin C is a great oxidant that protects cells from oxidative damage. If your body has enough vitamin C, it helps the immune system keep colds and flu away. Drinking lemon water daily ensures that your body gets a sizable amount of vitamin C. Regularly sipping on lemon juice can help you shed fat and lose a few kilos. That’s because lemons contain pectin, a type of fiber commonly found in fruits. One very important quality of Pectin is it helps you stay full longer, and that satiated feeling will help you cut down on food throughout the day. Another important thing that you ought to remember is to keep yourself hydrated at all times. Even if you are mildly dehydrated, you will find yourself subject to headaches and fatigue.
- Warm lemon water is the perfect ‘good morning drink’, as it aids the digestive system and makes the process of eliminating the waste products from the body easier. It prevents the problem of constipation and diarrhea, by ensuring smooth bowel functions. Lemons contain pectin fiber, which is very beneficial for maintaining colon health and also acts as a powerful antibacterial agent.
- Lemons help balance pH Levels as they are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. Though they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they are alkaline. Diseases only occur when the body pH is acidic. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation.
Believe us when we tell you that lemons are good for you - good for your overall health and fitness. Switch to lemons today! Switch to lemon water for health!