Benefits of Acupuncture
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is one of the ancient methods of treatment that originated in China thousand of years ago, but has found prevalence in the world today. Acupuncture is a method of treatment that involves the insertion of very thin needles to various depths through the patient's skin at specific points on the body. While the medical community may not agree about the efficacy of acupuncture, it has been seen that there is definite proof about its therapeutic benefits.
As per the traditional Chinese medical theory, acupuncture points are located on meridians through which the vital energy runs. Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on the ancient philosophy that describes the universe and the body as per two opposing forces: yin and yang. When these forces are in balance, the body is healthy.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
As mentioned earlier, traditional Chinese medicine states that good health is the result of the harmonious balance of the complementary extremes of yin and yang of the life force known as gi or chi. The life force is said to flow through meridians or pathways in the human body which, can be accessed through 350 acupuncture points in the body.
A person becomes ill as a result of the consequence of an imbalance of the forces. If needles are inserted into these points with appropriate combinations, it is believed that the energy flow can be brought back into proper balance.
How is The Acupuncture Treatment Carried Out?
The system of acupuncture usually involves several sessions of weekly or fortnightly treatments. Most courses consist of up to 12 sessions. The initial visit to the acupuncturist will involve an exam for assessment of the patient's condition and advice on self-care. Usually, most sessions last for about 30 minutes.
The patient is asked to lie down, face-up, face-down, or on the side, depending on where the needles would be inserted. Single-use disposable sterile needles are used for the treatment. The patient may feel the needle being inserted, but without any pain. But, when the needle reaches the right depth the patient will feel a deep aching sensation. Sometimes the needles are heated or stimulated with electricity after insertion. The needles are normally retained in that position for about twenty minutes. Most people feel minimal or no discomfort as the needles are gently inserted.
What is The Duration of The Treatment?
The frequency and number of treatment sessions may differ from person to person. While some people may experience dramatic relief in the first treatment itself, others may require a longer time. For complex or long-standing chronic conditions, one to two treatment sessions per week for several months may be recommended.
What Ailments are Commonly Treated by Acupuncture?
Studies on the benefits of acupuncture show that it successfully treats for a host of conditions ranging from musculoskeletal problems to nausea. It is seen that acupuncture has effectively cured migraine headache, anxiety, depression, cancer related pain, diabetes, insomnia, Cholelithiasis, and male infertility.
What Are The Health Benefits and Risks of Acupuncture?
There are definite health benefits through acupuncture, some of which are:
- Very effective combination treatment
- Effective in controlling a few types of pain
- Useful to patients who do not respond to regular pain medication
- A useful alternative to patients who do not prefer regular pain medication
What Are The Risks of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture has very few risks, and therefore, it is quite a safe method of treatment. However, the associated risks are:
- It is dangerous to patients with bleeding disorders.
- It is risky to patients using blood thinners.
- There may be instances of bleeding or bruising at the insertion sites.
- There may be rare instances of the needle breaking and damaging an internal organ.
- Unsterilized needles could infect the patient.
- The most common infection from acupuncture treatments is viral hepatitis, a serious liver infection.
What Are The Advantages of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture has many advantages that can improve your health and change your lifestyle.
- It will help open your mind and show you new dimensions in living.
- Acupuncture will relieve you of stress.
- It will help inspire you to improve your health and go outdoors.
- Acupuncture will help you become more energetic and feel motivated to become more active.
- You will be able to sleep better.
- It will help you eat better and correct the food imbalances.
- The process of acupuncture will help you develop more patience.
Now, that you know the benefits of acupuncture treatment, why don't you go in for acupuncture when next you fall ill?