Safe Home Remedies for Painful Kidney Stones
The kidneys are one of the most important organs in the human body - just as the heart and the brain. They perform the important function of detoxifying and filtering impurities from the blood, as well as waste products from the urine. Kidney stones are formed when the kidneys cannot process toxins efficiently, resulting in buildup of unprocessed minerals and blockage of urine flow. Kidney stones can be described as solid masses of mineral salt deposits that are normally filtered through the kidney and emptied through the urine. The urine has a natural substance, which dissolves these minerals, and thereby prevents them into becoming solids - also called as crystals. Kidney stones are a very painful disorder that affects many of us. Sometimes, kidney stone formation takes place due to dehydration, and crystallization take place when these salts cannot get dissolved. It should be borne in mind that untreated kidney stones can, sometimes, lead to renal failure.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
Kidney stones often have no definite, single cause, although several factors may increase your risk. Kidney stones often go unnoticed, until they begin to move to the ureter and block the flow of urine, causing severe pain. Some of the symptoms of kidney stones are:
- Pain in the abdomen or back
- Pain spreading to the groin area or testicles
- Blood in the urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Burning sensation during urination
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Overdoses of Vitamin D
- Mineral imbalance
- Kidney disease
- Improper diet
Treatment of kidney stones depends on their size. While smaller stones will pass out along with the urine easily, the doctor will prescribe medicines that will help in breaking down such stones, which ultimately will pass out along with urine.
Another common medical procedure is the Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL), where shock waves are passed through the skin of the abdomen for the kidney stone to break up and pass out through the urine. When the kidney stone is large, the doctor would recommend a keyhole surgery - which include Percutaneous nephrolithotomy or a Ureteroscopy.
However, there are a number of simple and easy home remedies that are helpful in removing kidney stones easily. These simple, natural remedies that may help soothe the discomfort of kidney stones and speed up the natural healing process of the human body, are quite popular.
1. Water: Drink a lot of water, as this helps to pass out the stones easily through the urine. Remember that the darker your urine is, the more water your body needs. When your urine comes out clear, it means that you are drinking enough water.
2. Kidney Beans: The shape of the kidney bean could be indicative of its healing powers and it is an effective home remedy for kidney stones. Remove the beans from inside the pods, and then boil the pods in purified hot water for about six hours. The liquid can be strained using a cheese cloth, cooled, and taken throughout the day for a day or two to ease kidney stone pain.
3. Pomegranate Juice: Pomegranates have many health benefits, but, the seeds and juice of pomegranates can be also be considered as another natural remedy for kidney stones. The pomegranate contains astringent properties, which is helpful in removing kidney stones.
4. Magnesium: Ensure that you consume magnesium supplements, which is a sure way to reduce kidney stones.
5. Basil: Basil or Tulsi is a great kidney toner, and basil tea can be taken throughout the day for overall kidney health. People with kidney stone problems should try taking one teaspoon of basil juice with raw honey daily for about six months to see a definite recovery.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar, which helps dissolve kidney stones, also has an alkalizing effect on the blood and urine. Mix two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water. Drink this a few times a day, and watch the magic happen.
7. Watermelon: Watermelon is an excellent method to treat kidney stones, which are made of calcium and magnesium phosphates and carbonates. The potassium present in watermelon ensures healthy kidneys and helps regulate and maintain the acid level in the urine. Watermelon also contains a high concentration of water, which helps in flushing out stones from the kidneys. Eating watermelon regularly can help in the treatment and prevention of kidney stones.
8. Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass juice is highly effective in treating kidney stones and other kidney diseases naturally. You can also have a glass of Wheatgrass juice mixed with one teaspoon of lemon juice and juice of basil leaves. Take this twice or thrice a day. Wheatgrass juice is an excellent source of magnesium, potassium, iron, amino acids, chlorophyll, and B vitamins.
9. Tomato Juice: Drink a glass of tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper every morning. This helps dissolve the mineral salt deposits in the kidneys.
10. Figs: Boil two figs in a cup of water and drink it on an empty stomach early in the morning every day. Figs have proved to be very effective in removing kidney stones successfully.
11. Proper diet: A proper diet is extremely essential to keep the kidneys healthy and prevent the formation of kidney stones. Drinking plenty of water regularly will help prevent kidney stones. Cut down on calcium-rich foods such as spinach, beet, cauliflower, carrots, almonds, coconut, turnip, Bengal gram, peas, whole-wheat flour and certain type of meats. Too much of these foods can lead to kidney stone formation.
12. Fiber: Many vegetable proteins are a great sources of insoluble fiber – an effective remedy for stopping the growth of existing kidney stones and preventing the formation of new ones. Whole grains, legumes, fruits, and green vegetables are a great source of soluble fiber.
13. Vegetable Proteins: We all know that over-consumption of certain animal proteins can cause kidney stones. If you are prone to this condition, you may have to give up certain meats. Some excellent sources of vegetable protein include green peas, spirulina, almonds, beans, hummus, and soy.
It should be remembered that while treatment for kidney stones are available, it is extremely important to make lifestyle changes and prevent kidney stones.