Coconut Oil For Hemorrhoids Treatment At Home
The human body is complex machinery. The complex machinery faces problems while working. However, nature has its own way of destroying and healing things. Nature has solutions even for the breakdown of the human body such as using coconut oil for hemorrhoids treatment at home.
What Are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are common and occur mostly among people within the age group of 45 and 65, though anyone these days can have it. While the name sounds tough, Hemorrhoids essentially mean swollen veins in the lower end of the rectum and anus. The swollen hemorrhoids are also popularly known as piles. These swollen veins tend to stretch the walls of the blood vessels in these areas to the extent that pain and irritation are commonly experienced while excreting. This results in bleeding, though such bleeding or irritation usually do not lead to fatalities. However, consulting a doctor is always advisable so that in case of extreme irritation, such hemorrhoids can be removed by the doctors using invasive procedures.
Types Of Hemorrhoids
1. Internal Hemorrhoids
These hemorrhoids occur inside the rectum which usually cannot be seen or felt by individuals. While these may be less painful since this area has few pain-sensitive nerves, but such hemorrhoids do indicate by bleeding. Certain internal hemorrhoids swell and enlarge to the extent that they stick out of the anus, making it more painful and irritating. Such enlarged internal hemorrhoids are called prolapsed hemorrhoids.
2. External Hemorrhoids
such hemorrhoids occur under the skin in the anal region. Since the area has various pain-sensitive nerves, these hemorrhoids are painful as well as experience bleeding. The external hemorrhoids are also known as thrombosed hemorrhoids.
Causes Of Hemorrhoids
Some of the common causes of hemorrhoids include
- Genetic transmission from the ancestors
- Mounting pressure upon the lower rectum due to several reasons such as:
- Gaining weight or becoming obese
- During pregnancy
- Constipation or Diarrhea leading to excessive pushing efforts during bowel movements
- Excessively straining physical efforts, especially lifting heavyweights
- Standing or sitting for long hours which exert pressure in that area
- Excessive strain exerted during coughing, sneezing, or vomiting.
Natural Remedies To Cure Hemorrhoids
Since nature has answers to all problems, even hemorrhoids have various natural remedies such as
- Making suitable dietary changes such as
- Adding more fiber-rich foods in the diet in order to avoid constipation. Fiber-rich foods include
- Whole grains
- Engaging in suitable changes in the lifestyle of individuals such as
- Drinking plenty of water
- Minimizing the sitting time in the toilet and using the toilet as soon as the urge for using the toilet is felt.
- Sleeping on the side in case of pregnancy
- Maintaining hygiene around the anal region
- Soaking in a warm bath or sitz bath occasionally
- Using topical treatment products which includes using coconut oil
[Also Read: Benefits Of Drinking Water For Skin]
Benefits Of Using Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural ingredient which is good for human health. Not just for beautiful hair, this oil is also known to be effective in weight loss programs and even curing ailments such as hemorrhoids. Coconut oil works wonders in treating inflammation, swelling, and the associated discomfort and pain with hemorrhoids. The anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and analgesic properties of coconut oil help in curing the effects of hemorrhoids. Coconut oil is safe for pregnant women too and thus they can both ingest the oil directly or apply the oil topically. The use of coconut oil is also known to lower the levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
[Also Read: Benefits Of Coconut Oil Pulling]
Coconut Oil for Hemorrhoids Treatment At Home
Coconut oil can be used in the following ways
1. Applied Topically
Coconut oil can be topically applied upon the hemorrhoids. This would help in reducing the swelling and discomfort associated with coconut oil.
2. Mixing Coconut Oil with Witch Hazel
Coconut oil and a little portion of Witch hazel can be applied topically upon the hemorrhoids in order to cure the symptoms of the ailment. The mixture can be used in a cotton ball and applied directly to the external or thrombosed hemorrhoids several times each day until the symptoms subside.
3. Ingested Orally
Coconut oil has excellent laxative properties. Therefore, using as little as a tablespoon of coconut oil with food or alone can help an individual relieve himself/herself from constipation apart from relieving the discomfort and pain of hemorrhoids. For e.g., Coconut oil can be mixed with popcorn instead of butter.
4. Using Coconut Oil Suppositories
Given the immense benefits of coconut oil, coconut oil suppositories can be used to cure hemorrhoids. Suppositories are essentially solid dosage of a particular medicine which is inserted into the rectum, vagina, or urethra of an individual directly in order to exert a local or systemic effect by dissolving and melting in the area instantly. Coconut oil suppositories can be created at home by putting adequate coconut oil into small cylindrical molds which are approximately the width of a pencil. The cylinders then should be allowed to freeze and indigenously prepared coconut oil suppositories are ready for use.
5. Mixing Coconut Oil And Turmeric
Anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric combined with the immense benefits of coconut oil works wonders in treating Hemorrhoids. The mixture can be dabbed onto a cotton ball and applied directly to external hemorrhoids.
6. Adding Coconut Oil To Bath Water
Around one fourth to half a cup of coconut oil can be mixed in a bucket full of lukewarm water. While the mixture would make the skin of the individual smooth and soft, it would also offer relief from the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
While using coconut oil, it is recommended to use virgin coconut oil since the same is the least processed.
Side Effects And Risks Of Coconut Oil
While coconut oil works wonder on many quarters, the same also have certain side effects and risk such as
- Upsetting the digestive tract and thus causing stomach cramps, diarrhea, and indigestion if the individual is allergic to coconut oil or it is used in excess of three tablespoons on a single day.
- Individuals having hemorrhoids as a result of diarrhea should not use coconut oil since the laxative property of coconut oil can make diarrhea worse.
[Also Read: Home Remedies For Diarrhea]
Hemorrhoids might not be fatal, but the discomfort and pain associated with them itself spoil the peace of mind. Therefore, using coconut oil for hemorrhoids might be an excellent treatment at home.