13 Tips To Treat Covid-19 At Home
What Is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that affects the upper track or lower track of the respiratory system. Once it enters our respiratory tract, it requires special treatment to cure the disease. People who are suffering from medical problems, like diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, or cancer will cause serious illness and need to be admitted to the hospital to cure the disease. It spreads from one person to another very easily, when a contaminated person sneezes or touches a healthy person, or if a healthy person touches a contaminated surface, that virus spreads to a healthy person and infects him. When the virus enters a healthy body, he notices symptoms like fever, cough, running nose, Shortness of breathing, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, muscle pain.
When a healthy person notices those symptoms, he should contact the doctor, if the symptoms are mild, the doctor advises the patient with coronavirus home treatment and take medicines as per his advice. If symptoms are worse, the doctor advises him to be admitted to the hospital for treatment.
[Also Read: Home remedies for sore throat]
To prevent covid-19 standard recommendations are;
- Wash our hands every 1 hour or sanitize our hands.
- Cover our mouth and nose using a double mask when coming out of the house
- Keep a distance of 6feet from one person to another person
- Stay home and stay safe to protect from viruses.
- Do yoga or pranayama to boost immunity.
- Intake vitamin c, vitamin D, multivitamin tablets to boost immunity.
Can We Treat Coronavirus At Home?
This coronavirus spreads from one person to another very fast, many people in a country, each state noted that lakhs of people are affected by the virus and there are no beds available in the hospitals for all the patients. It is also noticed that some patients are dying due to a lack of oxygen in the hospital. So, according to doctors, for people who are suffering from mild symptoms of coronavirus home treatment is suggested.
Mild symptoms like fever, cold, cough, loss of smell or taste, muscle pain can be cured at home. This leaves some beds for the severely impacted individuals. If a patient suffers from shortness of breath, then they should be admitted to the hospital.
[Also Read: Foods to eat and avoid if you have covid]
How To Treat Covid-19 At Home?
Follow the instructions given by your doctor. Here are a few of those important pieces of advice;
- Isolate yourself in a well versatile room, use a separate bathroom.
- Do not share covid-19 patients’ personal items with healthy family members.
- Cleaning the surfaces (handles, floor, table-top) of the room very often, is a must.
- Drink more fluids, dehydration makes symptoms worse.
- Intake the medicines that are prescribed by the doctor without fail.
- Intake vitamin tablets to boost immunity.
- Monitor your temperature thrice a day.
- Monitor your oxygen levels with an oximeter daily, oxygen saturation (SpO2 >94% on room air).
- A person who is taking care of you should wear triple-layer masks like N95 when he/she is taking care of the patient.
- Wash your hands or sanitize your hands when a person contacts the infected person.
- Use hand disposable gloves when you provide food to the contaminated person and later remove gloves carefully.
- Patients should communicate with their doctor once a day to provide their health reports. In case of any serious symptoms noticed, the doctor advises admitting to the hospital otherwise informed to continue the same medications.
- Patients can take steam inhalation twice a day or drink warm water.
How Will You Know Your Symptoms Are Getting Worse?
People who are infected with the disease can be treated with mild symptoms and no need to be admitted to the hospital. Whereas, for some other patients, the symptoms get worse day by day, in which case they should be admitted to the hospital. Worse symptoms including;
- Pain in chest
- Breathing problem
- Severe drowsiness
- Neurological symptoms
80 percent of the patients are cured at home, but some patients who are suffering from medical problems like diabetes, lung problems, obesity, and patients above 60 years need extra care and need to be admitted to the hospital.
When To Start Treatment At The Hospital?
When the following symptoms are noticed in the patients’ body, doctors start treatment at the hospital:
- When oxygen levels come down (spo2<94%).
- Give COVID-19 test to check if coronavirus is present inside patients’ bodies.
- Give chest x-ray or CT scan to know how much percentage of the virus is present in the lungs.
- Notice if the symptoms persist for more than 3 to 5 days like fever, cough, running nose, vomiting, loss of taste or smell should be admitted to the hospital immediately.
With good care, maintaining healthy and hygienic diet practices, being mentally strong, and close monitoring of the symptoms while perfectly following the medicines prescribed by the doctor, coronavirus home treatment is a successful practice in most cases.