Best Homeopathic Medicines For Viral Fever
Viral fever is the most frequently encountered health problem in day to day practice. We all have experienced viral right from our childhood and more commonly at every change of weather. Although viral fever may sound like a relatively simple illness to manage, there are also some varieties of viral fevers which can result in fatal outcomes.
Homeopathy is a system of medicine found and developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann which works on the principle of Law of Similars that is â€œlike cures likeâ€. Since its birth till date, Homoeopathy has gained popularity as well as harsh criticism.
In spite of all the criticisms leveled against Homoeopathy, the spread and acceptance of this system of medicine can be proven by the following:
- More than 200 million people worldwide use homeopathy on a regular basis.
- Nearly 100 million people only in India are solely dependent upon Homoeopathic medicines.
- Homeopathy is practiced in 40 out of 42 European countries. Nearly 29% of the European population uses Homoeopathy regularly.
- About 10% of the UK population uses Homoeopathy. The market in Britain for Homoeopathy is growing by nearly 20% each year.
Homeopathic Medicines For Viral Fever
Since Homeopathic therapeutics is based on individuality and symptom similarity, there are over 100 medicines which are capable of treating a viral fever when selected carefully. A few commonly indicated Homeopathic medicines for viral fever are mentioned below along with their common indications:
|Sr. No.||Homeopathic Medicine||Indications|
Complaints arising from exposure to the draught of cold air while in perspiration, suppressed perspiration, fear, fright, shock, the heat of the sun, injury or after surgeries.
- Aconite is the most frequently used remedy for viral fever.
- Fever has a sudden onset with a high rise in temperature.
- Fever begins with severe chills which are worse in the evening and at night.
- There is a sensation as if cold waves pass through the body.
- Patient has no thirst during fever and is restless
- Profuse sweat on parts lain on. Sweat relieves all symptoms.
|2.||Allium cepa(red onion)|
Allium cepa is commonly used for viral fever due to damp cold weather or from excess consumption of salads and cucumbers.
- Watery and acrid discharge from the nose which corrodes the skin outside nostrils.
- Profuse discharge of tears
- A cough is present which compels the patient to hold his/ her neck.
- Cough brought about by inhaling cold air. Tickling sensation in the larynx.
|3.||Arsenicum album(Arsenic trioxide)|
Arsenicum album is prescribed for viral fever due to winters, eating cold foods, ice creams, cold fruits (watery fruits), abuse of alcohol and sea bathing.
- Fever with high temperature and marked periodicity.
- Intermittent types of fevers.
- There is physical exhaustion yet mentally the patient is restless.
- Fever rises during the afternoon.
|4.||Belladonna (Deadly nightshade)|
Belladonna is indicated well in viral fevers due to exposure to cold air, getting the head, uncovering the head in cold air.
- High-grade fever with great external heat yet, feet are icy cold.
- There is external burning heat during chills with a throbbing headache.
- Blood vessels appear distended and throbbing.
- There is no thirst during the fever.
|5.||Bryonia (Wild hops)|
Bryonia is indicated in cases of viral fever which occur as a result of exertion, hot weather or warmth.
- Fever with chills is present and the patient is cold externally.
- A dry cough present with a fever which is worse from lying down and better from sitting up in bed.
- Delirium can be seen along with fever.
- During fever, there is a bursting headache which is worse from moving, stooping and opening eyes.
Dulcamara is suited to viral fevers as a result of damp weather, cold or after getting wet, living or working in damp basements.
- Fever with burning heat all over.
- Chills mostly in the back which is better from external warmth.
- Complete stoppage of nose.
- A dry cough during winters.
- Rough scraping sensation in the throat after taking cold in damp wet weather.
Gelsemium is indicated for viral fevers brought on by cold or damp weather.
- Fever with chills and shaking.
- Heat and sweat stages of fever are long and exhausting
- Fever with muscle soreness, weakness, and violent headache.
- A wave-like child going up and down the back.
|8.||Natrum Sulphuricum (Glauberâ€™s salt or Sulphate of sodium)|
This medicine is indicated for viral fevers due to staying or working in damp houses or basements, rainy weather or water in any form.
- Fever with the heat on top of the head.
- Thick yellow discharge from the nose.
- Stitching-like ear pain.
- A cough with thick, ropy, greenish expectoration.
Rhus Tox is indicated for viral fevers due to getting wet while sweating.
- Fever with restlessness and trembling.
- The chill stage is followed by heat and a constant desire to stretch the limbs.
- Intermittent type of fever with chills, dry cough, and restlessness.
- Urticaria during fever.
|10.||Sabadilla(Cevadilla seed. Asagraea Officials)|
Sabadilla is indicated for viral fever in persons who sensitive to cold.
- Chill stage predominates. Chills go from below upwards.
- Head and face are hot but hands and feet are icy cold.
- Lachrymation during paroxysms of chills.
- Spasmodic sneezing with a runny nose.
- A sore throat especially on the left side which is better from warm food and drinks.
The Dosage Of Homoeopathic Medicines
- In any case of a disease, Homoeopathic medicines are selected and prescribed based on a totality of signs and symptoms of each patient presenting to the doctor.
- Similarly, dose and repetition are also decided individually for each case depending upon the requirement and suitability of each individual case.
- Empirical use of homeopathic medicines is not advised as each case is perceived on the basis of individuality.
Homeopathic Medicines To Prevent Viral Fever
Prescription of Homoeopathic medicine for the prevention of viral fever can be selected by your doctor in the following ways:
1. Constitutional Remedy
- This is decided by a homeopathic doctor based on the mental and physical makeup of each patient.
- Homeopathic texts mention that a constitutional remedy is capable of removing the pre-disposition to develop viral fever and also raises the general immunity towards stress and disease.
- Homeopathic texts also say that when this is combined along with good hygiene, nutrition and stress management, constitutional treatment forms the first line of defense against all forms of infectious diseases.
2. Similar Nosode
- Nosodes are a group of medicines which act upon each individual person miasm.
- Miasm in homoeopathy is described as an inborn tendency of each person to develop certain illnesses.
- A specific nosode can be given as a preventive for a specific disease.
3. Genus Epidemicus
- These are specific homeopathic medicines which provide protection against epidemic diseases, and hence the name â€œgenus epidemicusâ€.
- A homeopathic doctor sees a few patients of epidemic disease and notes down the most commonly seen signs and symptoms in those patients.
- He/she finds out a homeopathic remedy which is most similar to the presenting signs and symptoms.
- This medicine is then prescribed to other patients who do not have the disease, thus working as a prophylactic.
Dose and repetition of preventive homeopathic medicines for viral fever also vary from person to person depending upon individuality.
Homeopathic medicines are safe, cost-effective and associate with no signs and symptoms. The list of homoeopathic medicines mentioned above is some commonly used medicines for viral fever. Yet, it is always a wiser option to visit a qualified homeopathic doctor for effective treatment and favorable results.