Himalayan Salt Lamp Cleaning Tips
Himalayan salt lamps have become highly popular due to the effects that they can have on the overall ambiance of the environment. However, like any household object, these gorgeous lamps are bound to collect dust and debris over time. If you’re not sure how to go about cleaning your Himalayan salt lamp, then check out these 5 handy tips to make the process simple and easy!
1. Avoid Keeping Your Lamp In Humid Areas
When it comes to maintaining your Himalayan salt lamp, prevention is key! When there’s a high level of humidity in the atmosphere, condensation can build up on the lamp’s surface -especially if you turn it off and let it cool down.
When the salt lamp’s heat no longer evaporates the water from its surface, it can become sticky and melty. Not only will the moisture from a wet, melting lamp attract dust, but it can potentially damage the surfaces beneath it as well.
If you live in a humid climate, it may be expected that condensation is an issue. You can combat this by keeping your lamp on at all times so that it stays warm. Additionally, make sure you keep your salt lamp away from humid areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
2. Never Submerge Your Lamp
Before we take a look at what you should do to clean your salt lamp, let’s go over what you should always avoid.
As you’ve already learned, humidity can cause your Himalayan salt lamp to melt. If humidity poses a threat to your lamp, then submerging it in water is far worse! If you submerge your lamp in water, you run the risk of deteriorating all those beautiful, crystalline edges.
For best results, clean with a cloth that’s damp, but not soaked. If your cleaning cloth is wet enough to drip when you hold it out, then wring it out before you get started.
3. Don’t Use Any Soaps or Detergents, Either
In addition to avoiding the overuse of water, you’ll also want to stay away from detergents. Part of the appeal of Himalayan salt lamps is that their surfaces are antimicrobial. This means that they act as their own “soap” while you clean.
If you’re not entirely convinced just yet, then keep in mind that Himalayan salt crystals boast enough antimicrobial goodness to be used as deodorant and hand sanitizer!
Alongside being completely unnecessary, using soap or detergent will leave an unwanted film on your salt lamp. Later when you turn the lamp on, it can struggle to do its job effectively if it’s already coated in detergent particles.
4. Make Sure Your Lamp Is On While You’re Cleaning
Plan ahead a little bit and turn your Himalayan salt lamp on a few hours in advance so that it has time to heat up before you start cleaning. The warmth will dry the surface faster once you’re done.
Making sure your lamp is warm and glowing before you get started will set you up for success when it comes to visibility as well. When your Himalayan salt lamp is on, its glow will highlight any spots that you might otherwise have missed.
5. Start Off-Dry
One commonly overlooked tip for cleaning Himalayan salt lamps is to do a round of dry dusting before you bring moisture into the equation. If you start off with a damp rag too soon, you run the risk of dust gobs clinging to the surface of the lamp.
Instead of diving right in with the damp cloth, dust off your salt lamp while the cloth is still dry. It’s far easier to start off by brushing away the outer layer of dust first and then go back in with the damp rag to work more stubborn buildup out of the crevices.
Step By Step Process To Clean Himalayan Salt Lamps
- First, turn on your Himalayan salt lamp and let it heat up for several hours beforehand.
- Next, take a dry cloth and brush away as much dust as you can, shaking out the cloth in between rounds if needed.
- Now it’s time to dampen your cloth. Rinse it well and wring out the excess moisture. Your cleaning cloth should never be wet enough to drip.
- Gently wipe any remaining dust off of your lamp, paying special attention to crevices where debris tends to collect. Try to do this relatively quickly to keep the rough edges intact.
- Let your freshly cleaned Himalayan salt lamp dry thoroughly, leaving it on for as long as possible. Remember to keep it away from humid spots like bathrooms, kitchens, and clothes washing areas to keep it looking and working its best for years to come!
See our full range of Himalayan salt products that includes lamps, soaps, and bath salts.