Best Home Remedies for Gallstones
The gallbladder is an important organ whose function is to preserve bile that is rich in cholesterol secreted from the liver. Bile helps the body in digesting fatty foods. So every time that bit of fatty steak or other fatty foods that you eat reaches the intestines, they send a message to the gallbladder to send down a certain amount of bile. This makes the fatty food easier to digest and ensures that it is properly able to make its way through other digestive processes.
This is the way things should work if you have properly functioning organs. However, the truth is that many people, especially older people, may have problems with their gallbladder. In 90% of these cases, the main problem is gallstones. Fortunately, there are natural ways to treat gallstones. Here is a look at some of the top home remedies for gallstones.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice
Apple has a wide range of health benefits, including the ability to dissolve gallbladder stones. You need to take it in the form of apple cider vinegar and juice. Apples contain malic acid, which to soften gallstones and vinegar prevents the liver from making cholesterol, which forms the stones. Apples do not only dissolve stones, but also prevents them from recurring and provides relief from flare-up pains.
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 glass of apple juice.
- Stir well to ensure that they are mixed together properly.
- Drink this mixture once every day.
You should continue to eat apples daily, even after getting rid of the gallstones.
According to the American Medical Association (AMA), roughly 80% of all gallstones are formed by hardened cholesterol. Pears contain pectin, which is believed to bind to cholesterol-filled gallstones to help in flushing them out of your body. Drinking pear juice is believed to dissolve gallstones.
- Mix half a glass of pear juice and half a glass of hot water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and stir well.
- Drink this mixture 3 times a day.
Beetroot, Carrot and Cucumber Juice:
When it comes to natural remedies for gallstones, juice therapies are highly recommended. One of the best juices for this problem is beetroot, carrot and cucumber juice. Beetroots help in cleansing and strengthening the liver and gallbladder and also cleanse your blood and colon. High in water content, cucumbers help detoxify the liver and gallbladder. Carrot juice helps in the same way and is rich in Vitamin C and other essential nutrients.
- Take 1 beetroot, 4 medium-sized carrots and 1 cucumber.
- Extract their juice and mix them together.
- Drink the juice 2 times a day.
- You can add celery, fresh apple juice or ginger of added benefits.
Keep in mind that you will need the juices of each vegetable in equal amounts for the best results.
Milk thistle is known to be one of the best home remedies for gallstones. It effectively helps shrink gallstones and provides relief from pain. If you have gallbladder problems, you should definitely add this herb to your regular diet. You can make milk thistle tea or add the seeds to your salads, juices, etc.
- Take one teaspoon of fresh milk thistle leaves and seeds.
- Put them in a clean muslin bag.
- Take 1 cup of hot water and place the bag in the water.
- Leave on and allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- You can add honey if you like.
Citrus fruits keep your liver from making cholesterol, just s vinegar does. So you should eat plenty of citrus fruits and drink lemon juice on a daily basis to treat gallstones. All you need to do is mix the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water and drink it 2 or 3 times a day. Gallstones can be effectively treated in a short span by this remedy. You can also use an effective Ayurvedic remedy that uses lemon juice to dissolve gallbladder stones.
- Mix 30 ml of olive oil, 30 ml of fresh lemon juice and 5 grams of ginger paste together.
- Drink this mixture every morning on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this for at least 40 days or until you are sure that your gallstones have been eliminated.
In order to cure gallstones, you need to make some dietary and lifestyle changes. This is important as your diet and habits play a major role in the formation of gallstones. Drinking plenty of water, lowering your intake of coffee, exercising regularly, etc. are all effective ways to prevent and treat the problem and improve your overall health.