Homeopathic Treatments For Psoriasis On The Scalp
Before getting into the details of how homoeopathy can help with treatment of psoriasis, it will be worthwhile to understand what psoriasis itself is and how it can impact the quality of life of people who suffer from it both physically and mentally.
What Is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a non-communicable, immune-mediated inflammatory, disfiguring and disabling disorder which involves the skin and nails. This illness tends to affect persons belonging to the age group of 50-59 years. It affects males more frequently than females.
The scalp is most frequently affected in patients with psoriasis. It is also called as “Pityriasis Amiantacea”. Scalp psoriasis can resemble or co-exist with seborrhoeic dermatitis. The clinical overlap of scalp psoriasis and seborrhoeic dermatitis is often termed as “Seborrhiasis”.
Cause For Psoriasis
- Psoriasis can be triggered by both external and internal factors. Trauma, sunburn, local or systemic infections, stress or drugs, and medications may work as causative factors for the development of psoriasis, yet the mechanism is unknown.
- Genetic predisposition is a major identified factor.
- For scalp psoriasis specifically, allergy to particular hair product like shampoo or oils, hair styling products or hair dye can be a cause for the development of scalp psoriasis or exacerbate existing scalp psoriasis.
Grading of Scalp Psoriasis
|Area of Involvement||Severity||Signs and Symptoms|
|Less than 50% of scalp||Mild|
Mild erythema (redness),
Scaling and itching
|Less than 50% of scalp||Moderate|
Moderate erythema and scaling
Mild to moderate itching
|More than 50% of scalp affected||Severe|
Severe erythema and scaling
Moderate to severe itching
Hair loss with scarring
Lesions not limited to the scalp (can be seen on the forehead or hairline)
- Typical scalp lesions are well demarcated and having grey-white or silver scales.
- Patients complain of itching and shedding of scales.
- The pattern of lesions of the scalp is asymmetrical in contrast to psoriatic lesions of skin which are symmetrical in occurrence.
- Areas adjacent to the scalp are also involved including forehead, temples, ears and nape of the neck.
- Scalp psoriasis does not always result in hair loss, but hair density may be reduced. Erythrodermic psoriasis and chronic severe hyper-keratotic scalp psoriasis can result in scarring alopecia.
- Global prevalence of psoriasis ranges from 0.09% - 11.4% which makes psoriasis one of the major health concerns.
- Psoriasis creates a negative impact on the quality of life of patients with psoriasis being not just physically, but also psychologically debilitating.
- Patients with psoriasis also exhibit high rates of depression, anxiety, embarrassment and low self-esteem.
- Several patients with psoriasis also report experiencing helplessness, anger and suicidal ideations.
- Apart from affecting the quality of life, psoriasis skin lesions also make the patients socially unacceptable and tend to face isolation in social activities.
Currently, there is no cure for psoriasis and it has been considered as a lifelong disorder. However, some medications are present which help to control the signs and symptoms of psoriasis.
Homoeopathy aims at providing a more holistic approach towards each individual case of scalp psoriasis. There are over 200 remedies in homoeopathy which are capable of treating scalp psoriasis. But the selection of remedies is done based on requirement and suitability of each patient’s physical and mental makeup or constitution individually as well as symptom similarity.
10 Homeopathic Remedies or Treatments For Psoriasis On The Scalp
|1.||Arsenicum album(Arsenic Trioxide)|
Intolerable itching of scalp Circular patches of bare spots on the scalp
The scalp is rough dirty, sensitive and covered with dry scales and offensive and acrid discharge
Burning and itching of scalp worse at night
The scalp is very sensitive, cannot brush hair.
Scaly eruptions on the scalp with white scabs
The scalp is covered with eruptions which ulcerate and form thick leathery scabs which collection of pus underneath.
Skin complaints worse from touch, damp weather and at night.
Indicated for skin symptoms and eruptions after vaccination
|3.||Natrum Muriaticum(Chloride of Sodium)|
The scalp is oily and greasy. Itching after exertion
Dry and crusty eruptions especially on margins of the scalp
This remedy has a marked action on hair follicles.
Skin, especially scalp is very sensitive.
Eruptions on the scalp with intense itching
Corrosive itching on forehead and margins of hair
Itching is worse from heat
Dry scalp and falling of hair
Itching and scratching causing burning – worse from washing
Itching especially from warmth, evening, springtime or in damp weather
Affected areas look bright red and irritated with scaling.
|6.||Kali Sulphuricum(Potassium Sulphate)|
Dandruff and scald head with yellow or serous discharge which is profuse and intermittent.
Popular eruptions with burning and itching with abundant scales
Bald spots on the scalp from loss of hair
|7.||Arsenicum Iodatum(Iodide of Arsenic)|
Dry, scaly scalp with itching.
Exfoliation of skin and scalp in large scales leaving a raw surface beneath.
Discharge from eruptions is fetid and corrosive.
Itching worse from washing.
|8.||Kali Arsenicosum(Fowler’s Solution)|
Indicated in inveterate skin disorders.
Ulcerations of skin and scalp. Intolerable itching, worse from undressing
Itching worse from warmth with dryness and scaling
|9.||Graphites(Black Lead – Plumbago)|
Indicated in patients with a particular tendency to develop skin phase of internal disorders.
Rough, hard, persistent dryness of skin with cracks and soreness.
Unhealthy skin – every injury suppurates. Rawness behind the ears and bends of joints.
There are several medicines in Homoeopathy which can effectively treat scalp psoriasis without producing undesirable side effects. It is important to visit a qualified homoeopath to receive a tailor-made treatment for each individual case of scalp psoriasis instead of blindly purchasing one of the above-mentioned medicines.