Homeopathic Remedies for Morning Sickness
One of the most common problems that most pregnant women face is 'Morning Sickness'. But, the term "Morning Sickness" is a misnomer in the case of many pregnant women as the symptoms are worse in the morning and lessen during the course of the day; but they can strike at any time and, in some cases last all day long. However, the intensity of symptoms can vary from woman to woman. While one woman may not have any sign of morning sickness at all, another woman may have the problem throughout the day.
What is Morning Sickness?
Morning sickness is the most common term used to describe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Morning Sickness, which is also known medically as â€˜Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancyâ€™ [NVP] is a physiological symptom of pregnancy. The most severe form of morning sickness is known as 'Hyperemesis gravidarum' where persistent vomiting leads to dehydration and weight loss.
The nausea usually starts around 6 weeks of pregnancy, but it can begin as early as 4 weeks. It tends to get worse over the next month or so. About half of the women who get nausea during pregnancy get complete relief by about 14 weeks. For others, it takes another month or so for the feeling of nausea to ease and disappear completely. But, it may return later and recur throughout pregnancy, but some women may have symptoms that persist continually until delivery. The bouts of morning sickness may last only for a few weeks, but for most of the women it is definitely a challenge. We know that even a mild case of nausea can wear you down, and bouts of continuous and persistent nausea and vomiting can leave you totally exhausted and miserable.
Morning sickness is an indication of pregnancy that occurs due to some physiological changes during pregnancy. It is suggested that the cause of morning sickness is a combination of factors related to the chemical changes in the body during pregnancy.
What Causes Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy?
We are not very sure what causes nausea during pregnancy, but it could be some combination of the many physical changes taking place in your body. Some of the possible causes are:
- Rapid rise of the hormone Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in the body
- Rapid rise of the hormone Estrogen
- An enhanced sense of smell and sensitivity to odors and certain aromas that instantly trigger the reflex for vomiting
- A sensitive stomach
Homeopathy is a complete, natural system of medicine that is more than 200 years old. It is a very popular system of medicine in many parts of the world, including Europe, India, and South America. One of the important advantages of Homeopathy is that it has no side effects, is non-toxic, and can be used safely during pregnancy. Homeopathy is a safe, affordable and loving way to support yourself during pregnancy, labor and the postpartum period. It can be used to address the physical, mental, and emotional components of distress.
Homeopathic remedies are safe to take during pregnancy and can significantly impact the intensity and frequency of the symptoms you experience. Homeopathy treats the person as a whole, and the treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as the associated pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a thorough examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical, and mental constitution. No treatment is needed in most cases, as the symptoms are often mild, but the following remedies are most commonly used to eliminate nausea and vomiting.
1. Colchicum: In some women, the morning sickness worsens after smelling food, especially the smell of food cooking. The mere thought of food triggers nausea in some women, while in some women even the slightest movement triggers nausea. Colchicum is effective in such conditions.
2. Ipecacuanha: This medicine is given to women who have constant and persistent nausea. In some cases, even vomiting doesn't relieve the nausea, and the feeling worsens when lying down.
3. Nux Vomica: In some women, the nausea is worse in the morning and after eating. The stomach is very sensitive to pressure. Nux Vomica can be taken in alternation with Ipecacuanha for nausea that is worse in the morning. The pregnant women who will respond well to this medicine for her nausea will have signs of an over stimulated nervous system. Violent retching without vomiting is common, and if the woman has retching, then Nux Vomica is the right medicine for her.
4. Lacticum Acidum: In some people, the nausea increases due the smell of tobacco smoke. Lacticum Acidum is effective in these cases.
5. Sepia: Some women have severe nausea in the morning, and they are sensitive to odors and crave for sour foods. Sepia works wonders in these cases. If the nausea intensifies when thinking of or smelling food that you would normally like to eat, then this might be just the medicine for you.
6. Symphoricarpus: This is a good non-specific remedy for morning sickness if other remedies do not give the desired results. The nausea is worse after any movement, and the person has an aversion to all food.
7. Pulsatilla: The nausea will be worse if the person stays in stuffy rooms, and feels better in fresh air. She will be worse after overeating, or after eating fatty and rich foods, fruit, milk, and bread. Pulsatilla can be very effective in such cases.
8. Tabacum 200C: The person will show signs of violent vomiting with a cold sweat, and will feel pale and chilly. She will experience waves of nausea, which will be made worse by even the least amount of motion. The person will exhibit the desire to spit. The smell of tobacco aggravates the condition. Tabacum 200C can help bring relief to the person.
9. Cocculus 200C: In this case, the person experiences a sensation of motion sickness and the condition worsens when undertaking any type of travel - whether it is by car, bus, boat, or plane. The person will experience an aversion to food and drink, and experiences a persistent metallic taste in the mouth. She feels hungry, but is not able to decide what to eat. When the person displays these symptoms, Cocculus 200C is the best medicine.