How to make Amla Candy at Home and its Benefits
Amla or Indian gooseberry is a very popular fruit which has many health benefits. The fruit is a powerhouse of various kinds of vitamins and other kinds of nutritional elements. The best way to take amla is to consume it in raw state, but due to its acute sour taste, many people can’t take it directly. However, not consuming the fruit in raw state deprives one of the health benefits that it offers. This is the reason that various ways are devised in which amla can be consumed without that extreme sour taste. Amla candy is one of the most popular ways in this regard. It is needless to say that this candy has sweet taste and is packed with all the goodness and nutrients that amla has. In the candies, the amla is dried up and hence tastes great. The raw sour taste is not there in the candy; rather it has a mixed taste of saltiness, sweetness and sourness. Once you start eating amla candy, you are sure to grow extremely fond of the same.
Ways in which amla candy can be beneficial for the body
Hair problems and skin issues can be handled with ease with amla. Amla or Indian gooseberry is a rich source of antioxidants. These components help in combating free radicals that cause damage to the skin or hair. Consuming amla helps in having natural, bright and glowing skin. Along with anti-oxidants, the natural ingredient also contains anti-aging properties and helps in stopping aging signs from appearing on the skin. Not only for skin, amla also proves to be very useful for hair. Hair becomes beautiful and strong with this fruit. Problems like hair fall can be combated easily with regular consumption of amla juice.
Rich source of vitamin C:
Among the various sources of Vitamin C available in the market, amla needs special mention. Vitamin C helps in improving the immunity levels in the human body and the body becomes prepared to combat illnesses and diseases successfully. People who take amla on regular basis fall prey to diseases seldom as the immune system is boosted with this ingredient. Amla also abounds in anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing pain and discomfort significantly.
Helps in curing cough and cold:
People suffering from cough and cold can take amla candy as it helps in soothing the conditions significantly. Since the ingredient is packed with essential various kinds of rich nutrients, instant relief from cough and cold can be obtained. Best effects are seen when amla juice is combined with honey and consumed. This is a sure home remedy for treating cough and cold naturally.
There are many companies that make amla candies and Patanjali needs special mention in this regard. Patanjali amla candy benefits are the same as mentioned above. They are made with pure natural ingredients and hence there are no chances of any kinds of side effects taking place from the same. However, amla candies can be made at home as well and the process of making them is quite easy and simple. Amla candy can be made with honey, sugar or jaggery – the choice is yours. It also depends on the preference of people as what taste they like in the candies.
How to make amla candy with honey?
The combination of amla and honey works wonders. This is because both the natural ingredients come with umpteen health benefits. To make this candy at home, you will need amla, honey and a pinch of saffron.
- Take 7-8 pieces of amla and let them soak in water for about 30 minutes.
- Now remove the amla from water one by one and pat them dry so that there is no water on them. Using a paper towel is the best thing to do in this regard.
- Once the fruits are patted dry, cut them into wedges. This helps in deseeding the fruits easily. Take the cut wedge pieces in a bowl and place aside.
- The honey you need for this recipe is best if it is fresh mountain honey.
- Take a clean jar. Make sure that it is completely dry and has no smell or flavors.
- Place few pieces of amla wedges at the bottom and sprinkle half of the saffron on the wedges. Add honey so that the pieces are submerged in the same.
- Repeat the whole process again. You can add honey till the top. Try covering the jar with cheesecloth. Place the jar in sunlight for 2 days. Once done, put a lid on the jar and let the honey soak for 15-20 days.
- This amla candy is ready. It will not be dry and have a mushy texture; but it will be very tasty.
How to make amla candy with jaggery?
Amla candy with jaggery tastes as good as amla candy with honey. This candy is not as dry as candy that is made from sugar and has a sticky feeling. But once you taste this candy, you cannot but help asking for more.
- This recipe is for about a kilogram of amla and you will need 2 cups of jaggery syrup for the same.
- Wash the fruits well and then steam the same so that they become soft. However, ensure that they don’t become mushy; they should just break. Take them out and take off the seeds from the amla.
- Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- Make the jaggery syrup by melting jaggery in water. Strain the liquid so that you get pure jaggery syrup. Take 2 cups of this syrup.
- Add the syrup to the boiled amla and mix well. The mixing should be done till the time the mixture is reduced. Store this mixture in a glass jar and tighten the lid.
- Both the amla candy recipes are extremely simple and can be easily made at home without any hassles. Reap the benefits of amla with these amazing amla candy recipes.