Meal Plans for Diabetics
Diabetes is one word that sends jitters to people everywhere. The UNO recently declared that India will soon be the capital of diabetes given the steep rise in diabetics across the country, age and gender no bar. Owing to our food habits and crazy lifestyles, the body’s metabolism is affected and it topples insulin levels by a great range. People who succumb to diabetes can never enjoy food like their earlier days. Food control is the biggest enemy because all the foods that we consume contain carbohydrates which convert into sugar in the body. However, with a little precaution and extra care, we can always control diabetes and still be able to eat our favourite foods.
Here are a few tips that control diabetes.
- Consumption of almonds is said to have a great impact on the insulin levels. Soak a handful of almonds overnight and eat them the next morning on an empty stomach. Doing this twice a week helps.
- Methi (fenugreek) can correct insulin imbalances and keep diabetes in check. Soak a few methi seeds in buttermilk and consumer it in the morning. Chew the methi properly without throwing it away.
- Grind one ripe tomato and add a little pepper to it. Drink this mix early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Consume a lot of water all through the day even if that means you have to visit the washroom more number of times. Flushing out unwanted waste is the key to reducing diabetes.
- Avoid carbohydrate rich vegetables like potato, sweet potato, carrots, cabbage and yam.
- Fried and roasted food, junk food, salted snacks like chips, pickles and canned foods must be totally out of your diet. Their high sodium content can shoot your blood pressure adding more risk.
- Take egg whites (discard the yolk) thrice a week. Let the white be cooked fully without being soggy or too hard.
- Artificial sweeteners are more dangerous than you ever thought of. Instead of balancing the sugar levels, they will cause more trouble by shooting up insulin levels and increasing body weight.
- For tea and coffee you can use skimmed milk, without the fat content. Do not add sugar to hot beverages.
- Instead of eating one huge meal, break it into parts and eat smaller meals. That will help your cravings and also make you feel full.
We have also compiled a few diabetic sample meals that can help you. Follow them religiously and you will soon see your sugar levels settling down.
Breakfast – 2 idlis and ½ cup tea or coffee without sugar
Mid-morning – any seasonal fruit except mango
Lunch – 1 small cup rice, 2 cups boiled vegetables or dal, 1 roti
Snack – Green tea or lemon tea and two biscuits
Dinner – Any vegetable salad and two rotis, 1 small cup curd
Breakfast – I cup upma, ½ cup tea or coffee without sugar
Mid-morning ¬– Any seasonal fruit or one small glass buttermilk
Lunch – 1 small cup rice, 1 cup dal and curd
Snack – 1 cup muri and green tea
Dinner – 2 rotis and 1 cup curd
Breakfast – 2 dosas or 1 uttappam and ½ cup tea or coffee without sugar
Mid-morning – Lassi or any fruit juice without sugar
Lunch – 1 small cup rice and 1 cup lightly cooked vegetables.
Snack – 1 plain sandwich and black coffee
Dinner ¬– 2 rotis, 1 cup boiled vegetables and 1 cup curd.