Top Heath Benefits of Tamarind and Use of Tamarinda
The tamarind tree is a large tree that is found in abundance in the continents of Asia, Africa, and South America. The fruit of this tree which has a distinctive sweet and sour taste is used in cuisines all over the world. The tamarind tree has a number of uses and health benefits.Tamarind is also used as an emulsifying agent in syrups, decoctions, and pharmaceuticals.
Do you know that the common tamarind tree that you normally see everywhere is loaded with health and medical benefits? All the parts of the tree - the leaves, bark, seeds, flowers, and fruits - have medicinal uses. The fruit is filled with minerals and vitamins required in our daily diet and it is for this reason that it is one of the most popular condiments. We also find that the tamarind has been used since a long time in traditional medicine. It is an excellent source of Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Thiamine, Phosphorus, and Riboflavin.
The wood of the tamarind tree, which is quite strong and sturdy, is used to make wooden flooring and furniture. Tamarind is also used to make metal polish which is used to clean and give shine to metals like copper and brass. Some varieties of tamarind trees are also used as ornamental trees.
Let's take a look at the uses of this wonderful tree and the medicinal benefits it gives us.
As said earlier, all the parts of the tree are useful and help in some way or the other.
- Tamarind contains iron which maintains the hemoglobin levels in the blood.
- It purifies the blood.
- It has digestive and laxative effects and improves bowel movement.
- It is used to cureurinary stones, gastric and digestive disorders.
- Tamarind is used for curing jaundice and bile disorders.
- The bark of the tree cures opens sores.
- The paste of tamarind seeds when applied to boils gives relief.
- As the leaves have astringent and antiseptic properties, a decoction of these leaves when given to children is effective in killing intestinal worms.
- Tea made of tamarind leaves is very good for curing malaria.
- The juice of tamarind flowers is used to treat piles.
- Tamarind pulp is very good for flatulence, indigestion, and vomiting.
- Sore throat can be cured by gargling with tamarind water.
- Tamarind bark gives relief from abdominal pain and flatulence.
- It is an excellent antidote for scorpion bites, and a paste made of tamarind seeds when applied to the scorpion bite draws out the poison.
- Consumption of tamarind removes fluoride from the body.
- Tamarind lowers cholesterol levels in the body.
- It heals inflammation of the skin.
- It is an excellent anti-oxidant and helps to fight against cancer.
- It supplements the Vitamin C in the body.
- It is good for diabetes.
- It is an excellent remedy for fever and body pains.
- It cures gingivitis.
- It is also suggested for leprosy.
Ayurvedic Medicinal Cures
- Drink tamarind water
- Drink tamarind juice made from tamarind leaves for 5 days -in the morning on an empty stomach and before dinner. Do not consume salt or spices during the duration of the treatment.
- Mix ash of the tamarind bark and mix it with half a teaspoon of honey and take it twice a day.
- Take tamarind flowers and dry it in the shade
- Powder equal quantity of candy sugar and mix with it
- Store it in an air-tight bottle and take 5 grams of this mixture every day before lunch and dinner
- Massage the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet with tamarind pulp which will give relief
- Soak 25 grams of tamarind in a glass of water and drink it.
- Drinking tamarind juice mixed with candy sugar will reduce heartburn.
- Drinking juice of tamarind leaves is beneficial in such cases.
- Tamarind is an excellent method forcuring diabetes and to lower blood sugar levels by preventing oxidative damage to the pancreas. Drinking tamarind juice regularly reduces the risk of diabetes, coronary heart problems, and other related diseases.