Can Diabetes be Controlled by Ayurveda?
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder where the body is unable to utilize the use of glucose formed in the body. In most of the people, the food that we eat is broken down into glucose which is a form of sugar present in the blood, and it is this glucose that serves as fuel for the body and gives energy. In this article we will show you how diabetes can be controlled by ayurveda.
We get our supply of energy from the food that we eat and our body breaks down the starches and carbohydrates into simple sugars. This sugar is distributed to the various organs in the body as fuel to perform its daily activities. The human body maintains a reserve of glucose in the muscles of the body and as glycogen in the liver.
In the process of digestion the glucose enters the bloodstream which is used by the cells for performing its functions. The glucose needs a hormone called Insulin for the glucose to enter the cells. Insulin is produced by the pancreas which is a gland found behind the stomach.
But, before anything else, let us know a bit more about this disorder and how diabetes can be controlled by ayurveda. There are two types of diabetes - Type 1 and Type 2. In Type 1 diabetes, the body completely stops producing insulin and people with this type of diabetes have to inject themselves with insulin daily to survive. Usually, this type of diabetes affects children or young adults, but it can occur at any age. Type 2 diabetes results when the body is not able to produce enough insulin or is unable to utilize the insulin properly. The glucose is collected in the bloodstream and passes out of the body along with urine, resulting in the body losing its fuel.
You will normally find this type of diabetes in people who are over 40, obese, and have a family history of diabetes. But, unfortunately nowadays we see that a large number of young people are being affected by diabetes.
The question that normally occurs to people: 'Do I have diabetes?' or 'How will I know if I have diabetes?' Can diabetes can be controlled by ayurveda?
You Will Find The Following Symptoms and Indications in People Having Diabetes:
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent urination
- Loss of weight
- Insatiable hunger
- Blurred vision
- Numbness in the hands and feet
- Wounds not healing fast
Strange as it may seem, in some case there are no indications whatsoever at all and people live a normal life without realizing that they are affected by diabetes. But, it should be remembered that diabetes should not be neglected - it is a killer disease. If not managed properly, it can lead to various complications such as cardio-vascular problems, strokes, blindness, nerve damage, impotence, and in some cases it can even lead to amputation of the limbs. Ayurvedic doctors tell us that diabetes can be controlled by ayurveda and there are no long-term effects of the ailment on us.
Ayurvedic doctors feels that diabetes is not a problem that can be treated by normal medicine and diet. Ayurveda recommends a method of treatment that rejuvenates the body and balance sugar levels.
But, the most important thing to remember is that you have to necessarily follow the Ayurvedic lifestyle, medication, and diet as given below:
- Eat the specified diet
- Exercise regularly
- Take special care of your eyes and feet
- Give up smoking if you are a smoker
- Do not sleep in the daytime
- Have an active life and not a sedentary one
1. Some of the herbs recommended by Ayurveda for all types of 'doshas' are haldi (turmeric), neem, shilajit (mineral wax), amlaki, and guggul. Turmeric with aloe vera gel can be very effective when taken during the initial stages of diabetes.
2. Juice of bitter melon or bitter gourd or two tender leaves of bilva and neem should be taken on an empty stomach every day. Taking jambu juice and karela (bitter gourd) juice can also work wonders.
3. Turmeric is very effective in controlling diabetes.
4. Mix and grind fenugreek (methi) seeds, turmeric, and white pepper. Take a teaspoon of this powder with a glass of milk twice a day.
5. Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and drink it in the morning.
6. Take half a teaspoon of ground bay leaf and half a teaspoon of turmeric and mix it with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel. Take this twice a day before lunch and dinner.
7. A combination of gudmar and shilajit is recommended for diabetes.
Ayurveda suggests eating a kapha-pacifying diet. Diet plays a very important role in controlling diabetes. The following diet is recommended:
1. Avoid sweets.
2. Eat carbohydrates and dairy products in moderation.
3. Eat fresh vegetables and bitter herbs.
4. Recommended foods include roasted or fried barley, corn flour, barley porridge, small quantities of ghee, and rice.
5. Recommended herbs include gokshura, gudmar, triphala, musta, fenugreek, and coriander.
6. Gudmar is suggested for digesting the sugar in the pancreas.
7. Reduce fats like butter and ghee.
8. And, of course most of the fruits are out of bounds. But, you can eat a bit of those fruits now and then.
The ayurvedic system of medicine tells us that daily exercise is the most important part of your daily regimen. It is extremely essential that you keep yourself fit and burn a few calories every day. There are a number of ways to keep fit. Some of them are:
- Going for a walk - mornings and evenings
- Doing jogging
- Doing regular exercises
- Doing yogasanas
- Doing cycling
- Any other exercise that you feel like indulging in
Adopt the above program and you will be saying good bye to diabetes very soon as diabetes can be controlled by ayurveda.