Pros and Cons of Consuming Green Tea with Honey Before Bed
It is rightly said that health is wealth. People these days have started becoming more conscious and aware of their health given the stressful conditions that they need to manage every single day. While life has become stressful, nature provides important elements such as Green Tea and Honey which not only helps us to stay healthy but also stress-free. But while we believe that drinking Green Tea with Honey is beneficial, we also need to understand if there are some side effects of consuming Green Tea with Honey before bed.
Is It Bad Or Good To Drink Green Tea With Honey Before Bed?
Green tea is a type of tea made from Camellia sinensis leaves and buds which have not undergone the same withering and oxidation process used to make oolong teas and black teas. The concept of Green tea though originated in China but its production and manufacture have, over time, spread to many other countries in Asia including India.
This particular beverage is considered to have enormous health benefits. Researches prove that a single cup of green tea before bedtime works wonders for the human body. Drinking green tea at bedtime increases metabolism, where it helps to reduce weight by improving digestion. With so many benefits in just one cup, green tea with honey before bed is an absolute hit formula.
How To Prepare Green Tea with Honey?
While there are various ways and methods of preparing green tea, topping this magical cup of drink with a spoonful of honey not only adds to the sweetness of the drink but it also adds on to essential food value of the drink given the immense benefit of this magical sweetener called honey. Green Tea, just like any other beverage preparation, can be consumed and served both hot and cold. In both forms, the drink tastes magical while retaining the inherent food value of the beverage.
Hot Serving of Green Tea with Honey
- The hot serving would require 4 cups of water, 4 lemon peel and 4 Orange peel strips of 2Â½ X1 inch dimension, 2 teaspoons of honey, 4 green tea bags (preferably of a good brand), and 4 slices of lemon.
- While the preparation takes 10 minutes, the drink can be served in another 15 minutes time only.
- Water along with lemon and orange peel strips needs to be boiled well and then on a low flame the water needs to be simmered for another 10 minutes.
- After removing the peels from the water using a slotted spoon, the boiled water should immediately be added to a teapot which should be kept ready with the green tea bags.
- The teapot should then be covered and left to steep at least for another 1-3 minutes.
- The tea bags should then be removed gently and discarded. Then stir the honey into the mixture and serve the tea hot with a garnishing of the lemon slices.
Cold Serving of Green Tea with Honey
Green tea at bedtime with honey concoction can be consumed as a cold serving during the summers.
- The cold serving of green tea would require boiling almost 4 cups of water.
- After removing the water from heat, tea bags need to be added to the water along with 2 mint sprigs. After some time, say 2-3 minutes, remove the tea bags and mint sprigs and discard them.
- Then stir in some honey into the mixture until it is dissolved. Transfer the honey seasoned mixture into a large pitcher and add 2 cups of ice and 2 cups of cold water.
- Serve this cold refreshing drink above a generous serving of ice and top it up with a slice of lemon and few springs of cooling mint.
Green Tea with Honey Before Bed Benefits
Green Tea is beneficial any time it is consumed. However, some of the most prominent benefits of consuming green tea at bedtime with honey include
Green Tea help in soothing the nerves and calming the body and mind of an individual. Therefore drinking a cup of green tea before bed helps in falling asleep faster and getting a deeper sleep too. The quality of sleep would be better after a refreshing cup of green tea with honey.
Vital processes of our bodies are conducted when the body relaxes while sleeping. The antioxidants present in the green tea helps in boosting the immunity of the body while improving the overall health of an individual. Specific substances such as catechins help in fighting bacterial and viral infections. According to research, a cup of this refreshing drink can save an individual from cold and flu symptoms by at least 60-70 percent.
Helps in Weight Loss
The magical properties of drinking green tea at bedtime help in increasing metabolism while the body rests and thus helps in weight loss. Further having a cup of green tea with honey before bedtime makes an individual feel full, thus avoiding unhealthy snacking just before bedtime. Another reason why consumption of Green Tea at bedtime is healthy because Green Tea with honey is 99.9 percent water thus adding 0 calories, therefore helping in making one feel full while maintaining body weight.
Improving Brain Functions
Caffeine present in Green Tea helps in improving the overall cognitive functions of the body while stimulating the brain. Therefore, a cup of green tea with honey before bed can actually help an individual become smarter.
Green tea helps in regulating the digestion of the body while managing healthy bowel movements. Therefore, drinking green tea before bedtime can help an individual get relief from constipation and other digestive problems.
Reducing The Risk of Cancer
Green Tea is known to have essential properties which help in reducing the risk of cancer, especially cancers such as breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer.
Improving Dental Health
Catechins in Green Tea inhibit the formation of bacteria in the mouth, thus preventing the problem of bad breath.
Reducing The Risk of Diabetes
Green Tea helps in maintaining stability in blood sugar levels, thus reducing the risk of diabetes to a great extent.
Improving Blood Circulation
Green tea helps in improving blood circulation within the body, thus helping the body receive essential nutrients wherever required.
Improving Cardiovascular Health
Improvement of blood circulation also ensures the improvement of cardiovascular health of an individual.
Apart from all these benefits, a cup of Green Tea with honey before bedtime also helps in delaying the aging process while substantially improving the quality of life. Green tea before bed also helps positively in bodybuilding by improving nutrient intake within the body.
Green Tea With Honey Before Bed Side Effects
While consumption of green tea in moderate quantities is possibly safe and good for health, consumption of green tea in high doses and exposure for the long term has been found to be possibly unsafe for an average adult human being. This has possibly been related to the overexposure to caffeine.
- Some of the possible side effects of long term exposure to caffeine include headache, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, heartburn, nervousness, sleep problems, convulsions, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, tremor, ringing in the ears and a confused state of mind.
- Green Tea is also known to have a chemical substance which is linked to liver injury when consumed in high doses. In fact, researches prove that 10-14 grams of green tea (approximately 150-200 mg of Green Tea is present in each kilogram of packed green tea) can be fatal for human existence while consumption merely below such levels can cause serious toxicity.
To conclude, they say anything in excess can be harmful. Thus, while green tea with honey before bed in limited quantities can prove effective for human health, an excess of such a healthy drink can also prove to be harmful.