Benefits And Side Effects Of Fenugreek Tea
Fenugreek is a medicinal herb that has various health benefits. It is a spice that is commonly used in Indian cuisine and has been used in alternative medicine for treating certain ailments. The health benefits of fenugreek are innumerable. Today, the tea made from fenugreek seeds is gaining popularity.
Fenugreek is a great source of vitamins and minerals. Some of these include;
- Vitamin A
Benefits Of Fenugreek Tea
Listed here are some benefits of fenugreek tea;
1. Improves Heart Health
By lowering cholesterol levels, fenugreek tea helps patients suffering from heart diseases such as coronary artery disease. Animal studies show that fenugreek increases the levels of an antioxidant enzyme called glutathione that boosts heart health.
2. Aids Digestion
The water-soluble fiber component of fenugreek helps to treat constipation. The fenugreek seeds and tea are effective in treating ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome. Fenugreek tea has been traditionally used to treat digestive problems. A few people believe that consuming fenugreek tea after food aids digestion.
3. Helps To Fight Inflammation
Linolenic and linoleic acids in fenugreek provide anti-inflammatory benefits. Animal studies show the beneficial effects of fenugreek on arthritis symptoms. Research shows that fenugreek mimics estrogen and helps reduce the risk of developing autoimmune conditions.
4. Promotes Weight Loss
Animal studies show that the extract of fenugreek seeds inhibits fat accumulation and helps reverse high-fat levels. Research also shows that consuming fenugreek decreases fat consumption in healthy adults. Hence fenugreek helps to lose weight.
5. Aids In The Treatment Of Diabetes
Fenugreek contains soluble fiber that can lower the blood sugar levels by reducing the rate of carbohydrate absorption. Fenugreek tea has beneficial effects on type 2 diabetes.
6. Boosts Brain Function
Fenugreek contains a compound called trigonelline that has brain-boosting effects. Research shows fenugreek tea to slow down the progression of age-related memory loss. It can reduce the risk of developing Alzheimerâ€™s and Parkinsonâ€™s disease. By reducing aluminum toxicity, Fenugreek tea can also prevent brain diseases.
7. Improves Male Sexual Health
Supplementation with fenugreek seeds increased the levels of testosterone in males. It is found to improve sexual arousal, energy, and stamina in men; and helps to maintain normal healthy testosterone levels.
8. Beneficial For Breastfeeding
Fenugreek tea for breastfeeding has been studied, and it shows that fenugreek tea as part of diet helps to promote breast milk production.
9. Respiratory Relief
Fenugreek tea is found to ease respiratory ailments. Research reports that the aqueous extracts of fenugreek seeds treat asthma.
10. Fights Premature Aging
Fenugreek tea made from germinated seeds are believed to have a higher antioxidant activity that helps prevent photo-induced premature aging of the skin.
11. Treats Dandruff
Extracts of fenugreek seeds were used to treat seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. You can also use it for treating dandruff. Once you wash your hair with a shampoo, rinse it with fenugreek tea. You can also use fenugreek tea on hair after using the conditioner.
12. Hormonal Stability
Fenugreek tea assists to stabilize hormonal functions in both men and women. For women, estrogen-like properties of fenugreek assist to improve libido, reduce the PMS (Premenstrual symptoms), and signs of menopause like hot flashes and mood fluctuations.
How To Make Fenugreek Tea
The preparation of fenugreek tea is very simple. You just need a few fenugreek seeds. The steps for preparation include;
- Crush the fenugreek seeds by using a mortar and pestle.
- Boil a little water in a kettle and pour it into a teapot or a container.
- Add the crushed fenugreek seeds into the teapot. You can also add tea leaves or other herbs.
- Cover and allow it steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain out the seeds using a tea strainer into a cup.
- You can add honey or stevia for sweetness.
- You can drink fenugreek tea either hot or cold.
- Fenugreek tea may not be beneficial for everyone.
- Excess consumption of fenugreek tea may cause adverse effects in some people.
Who Should Avoid Drinking Fenugreek Tea?
Fenugreek tea may not be safe for everyone. It should be avoided in case of;
- Pregnant women
- Women with breast cancer and other hormone-sensitive cancers
- People with health issues (must consult a doctor before starting to use)
- People having a food allergy must be cautious
- People under medications (must consider visiting a doctor for any interactions of fenugreek with the medication)
Side Effects Of Fenugreek Tea
Some possible side effects of fenugreek tea are;
1. Lowering Of Blood Sugar Levels
- Women consuming motherâ€™s milk tea, which has fenugreek as a vital constituent, have reported a drop in their blood sugar levels accompanied by dizziness, excessive sweating, trembling, and food cravings.
- If diabetics consume fenugreek tea along with their medications to lower blood sugar, fenugreek may further drop the sugar levels below the safe levels.
2. Issues During Pregnancy And Nursing
- Excessive consumption of fenugreek seeds may cause premature contractions.
- Few animal studies show growth retardation in the child.
- If consumed just before childbirth, the baby may smell like maple syrup that may be mistaken for the maple syrup disease.
- Some nursing women consuming fenugreek tea have reported that their babies become very fussy and pass green stools.
Though rare, a few people reported experiencing allergic reactions after consuming fenugreek. Allergic symptoms include facial swelling, wheezing, and fainting. If you have a food allergy, you must be cautious before taking fenugreek tea.
Children may have bouts of unconsciousness. Their urine may also smell like maple syrup.
5. Blood Clotting
Fenugreek when consumed while taking medications to slow down the blood clot formation can cause bruising and bleeding.
Fenugreek is reported to trigger the intensity or even the duration of migraine.
[Also Read: Home remedies for migraine]
7. Gastrointestinal Problems
They cause stomach upset and diarrhea in adults and children.
Fenugreek tea is being consumed by many people for ages. The health benefits of fenugreek tea are many. Try using fenugreek tea to improve your health and life.