Health benefits of following a vegetarian diet
There is considerable evidence that vegetarians are healthier than non-vegetarians - for health reasons, if not for anything else. And, that precisely, is the reason why we see many non-vegetarians making the switch to vegetarianism. Are you aware of the benefits and advantages of being a vegetarian? Are you thinking of becoming a vegetarian? In this article we are going to tell you the health benefits of following a vegetarian diet.
Research has shown that a vegetarian diet is a very effective way of preventing coronary heart diseases. You will also find that vegetarians are also less prone to other health problems such as diabetes, kidney stones, or obesity. To put it in a nutshell, people consuming a vegetarian diet are far more healthier than people who consume a non-vegetarian diet for the simple reason that they have all the advantages of health benefits of following a vegetarian diet.
Studies in the field of medicine have proved beyond any shadow of doubt that eating a well-balanced vegetarian diet is not only a healthy but a natural way to treat many chronic diseases. It is also a well-known fact that fatty red meats and processed meats are substantially high in saturated fat which raises your LDL or bad cholesterol level and thereby increases the risk of heart disease.
The health benefits of following a vegetarian diet doeshave distinct advantages over a non-vegetarian diet. When you eat a vegetarian diet, you consume lower quantities of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein while you consume higher quantities of carbohydrates, dietary fiber, folic acid, vitamins C and E, as well as other minerals. Earlier schools of thought suggested that vegetarian diet was deficient in nutrients such as proteins, iron zinc, calcium, iodine, and certain vitamins but it was adequately proved that a well-planned diet could remove these deficiencies.
Advocates of vegetarianism say that a veg diet assists in the prevention and treatment of some diseases such as cardio-vascular diseases, hypertension (blood pressure), diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis, dementia, and cancer. People switch over to becoming vegetarians for a number of reasons - some for health reasons and some for social, spiritual,or other reasons. We do see many people give up non-vegetarian foods when they tend to go on a crash-diet program.
If you are intent on becoming a vegetarian but have not yet fully made up your mind, let us reiterate the health benefits of following a vegetarian diet. The following points will amply illustrate that:
- Healthy: A vegetarian diet is definitely a healthy option. You will surely live a healthier life as you will no
- Weight: This is an easy way of keeping your weight in check.
- t be prone to heart diseases, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, or cancer.
- Long life: You will be one of the candidates who are sure to touch the hundred mark. It has been proved beyond all doubt that people who consume animal fat live a relatively shorter life.
- Stronger body: You can be assured of a stronger and healthier body - with a stronger skeletal system and a better metabolism.
- More active: It is seen that vegetarians are more active and have the ability to cope with the day-to-day stress better.
- Better digestive system: It is also seen that vegetarians have a better digestive system and rarely suffer from constipation.
It may take some time for you to completely switch over to a totally vegetarian diet. You may suffer from withdrawal symptoms. But, you can definitely make a start. You normally find that the first step is the most difficult one - and once you do that - the other steps look quite easy.