Is Lemongrass Tea Good For Sore Throat?
Have you ever tried home remedies for a sore throat? If not, then it is time to try lemongrass tea for a sore throat. Irrespective of whatever the cause of sore throat is, lemongrass works wonders.
What Is A Sore Throat?
In simple terms, it is a dry, scratchy, and painful feeling in the throat. The majority of the sore throats are the result of infections and also environmental matters such as dry air. Although it is uncomfortable, a sore throat goes away on its own unless there is an underlying serious condition.
Sore throats are classified into different types based on which part of the throat they affect;
[Also Read: Home remedies for sore throat]
Symptoms Of Sore Throat
The following are some of the signs and symptoms of sore throat;
- Scratchy or painful sensation in the throat
- Pain that increases with talking or swallowing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swollen, sore glands in the jaw or neck
- Swollen, red tonsils
- Pus or white patches on tonsils
- A muffled or a hoarse voice
Other signs and symptoms include;
Causes Of Sore Throat
Usually, viruses cause a sore throat and very rarely bacteria lead to this condition.
1. Viral Infections
- Common cold
- Flu (influenza)
- Mono (mononucleosis)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Croup- A usual childhood infection characterized by a barking and harsh cough
2. Bacterial Infections
At times bacterial infections can also lead to this condition such as Streptococcus pyogenes (group A streptococcus) which leads to strep throat.
3. Other Causes
- Allergies such as pet dander, dust, pollen, and moulds lead to this condition and this gets complicated with a postnasal drip.
- Dry indoor air can also make this condition.
- Outdoor air pollution and indoor pollution like tobacco smoke or chemicals.
- Sometimes muscle strain can cause this. Continuous talks or acts that lead to straining of throat muscles can lead to this.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can lead to sore throat and with GERD acid flows back.
- HIV can also be a cause.
- Hoarseness, heartburn, regurgitation of stomach materials, and a lumpy sensation in the throat.
- Cancerous tumors in the throat or larynx lead to this situation.
Lemongrass Tea For Sore Throat
Lemongrass leaves are high in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities that aid in decongesting the respiratory system. It also has the goodness of vitamin A & vitamin C thereby giving relief not only from a sore throat but also other colds, coughs, and flu.
How To Prepare Lemongrass Tea For A Sore Throat?
Just place a couple of lemongrass leaves in water and boil them. Drinking as often as possible till you get relief will not only clear your throat but also add to oneâ€™s overall wellness.
You can even try ginger and lemongrass tea for a sore throat by adding a small piece of ginger.
Other tips to prevent sore throat
Regardless of what causes sore throat, one can easily find help in these tips which are not only effective but also easy to follow;
- Get plenty of rest. Resting increases immunity and also heals the sore throat. Resting here also means resting your voice.
- Keep the body hydrated, consume more fluids. Stay away from caffeine, alcohol, and other beverages that take up water from the body.
- Give a try to comforting beverages and foods. Warm drinks with honey can work wonders. Try caffeine-free beverages and eat foods such as soups and so on.
- Saltwater gargle has been a medicine for the sore throat for ages. Try it, add salt to warm water, and gargle for about 5 minutes at least twice a day.
- Humidifying the air is also one easy way. Dry air itches the throat so cool the air.
- Staying away from irritants, probably some kind of air or smoke would be the reason for a sore throat. Find out that and keep it at bay.
When all these home remedies including lemongrass tea for sore throat donâ€™t work it may be a serious concern that needs immediate doctor intervention.