The Amazingly Beneficial Castor Oil
Every grandmotherâ€™s favourite home remedy is undoubtedly castor oil. It was a part and parcel of every Indian home and was the one stop solution for injuries, insect bites, rashes, stomach aches and other common disorders. What many of us do not know is that castor oil is a secret ingredient in many soaps, perfumes, deodorants and other toiletries we use regularly. Castor beans are processed in heavy machines to obtain castor oil which is a natural lubricant and also an antibacterial agent. All oil based products use castor oil to increase the viscosity of the product.
From straightening fine lines of the skin to help shed excess weight, there isnâ€™t anything under the sun castor cannot do. Read on to find out how amazingly beneficial the oil is and why you should make it a part of your life.
- Summer or winter, those with dry and flaky skin always have trouble taming their skin. Dry flakes and white patches can be healed with castor oil. Just before you sleep, massage some castor oil all over the face and neck. Slowly and lightly make circles on the skin and ensure that the oil is absorbed. Wash your face the next morning and pat dry. Within a weekâ€™s span you will notice that your skin is well moisturised.
- Open cuts, wounds and bruises can worsen if not treated properly. Applying a little castor oil on the wounded skin area will be of great help. Castor oil is a natural disinfectant and kills pus-causing bacteria on open wounds. Fungal skin infections like ringworm and yeast infections can be effectively treated with castor. Topical application relieves the skin from inflammation and itchiness.
- Naturopathy practitioners swear by castor oil to improve bodyâ€™s immunity and eliminate cancer spreading cells from the body. When you consume a tiny amount of castor oil, it immediately increases the number of white blood cells and they in turn fight infections. A recent study on castor beans and their benefits revealed that within an hourâ€™s time after consumption of the oil, the number of lymphocytes and antibodies shoot up, thus enabling the body to fight diseases effectively.
- Arthritis and stiffness of the muscular system is a common problem for the elderly. External application of oil and hot fomentation after the massage provides relief from the throbbing pain and eases stiffness. This is one reason why castor oil is an integral part of most of the Ayurveda oils that are made to heal joint pains.
- For constipation, there is no better medicine than castor oil. Ricinoleic acid, an important component of castor oil creates heat within the body and pushes out gas and stools from the intestines. You can try this age old medicinal formula if you are suffering from a tight tummy. Pour a tiny amount of castor oil on to a betel leaf and let it sit for 5minutes. Consume the oil and drink water after half an hour. This therapy works wonders on the digestive system.
- Our mothers and grandmothers have all taken the help of castor oil during the elaborate process of childbirth. As soon as contractions began, they were made to consume castor oil orally and also asked midwives to massage the oil near the pelvis to lubricate the cervix area. Castor activates the EP3 receptor in the uterus and makes contractions easier, thereby cutting short long hours of painful labour.