Natural Home Remedies and Ayurvedic Treatment for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive-compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a potentially disabling illness that causes the person to have repetitive thoughts and perform a behavioural routine that becomes rituals. It causes a person to be preoccupied with cyclic thoughts and behaviour. OCD plagues recurring thoughts, fears, anxiety or images beyond the control of the patient. This OCD cycle may consume patientsâ€™ few hours in a day. People with OCD may acknowledge that their fear and anxiety is unrealistic, but they canâ€™t control them. They just become obsessed with their thoughts and behaviour. The disturbing thoughts can be anything from religion to sex. At the core, OCD is a mental disorder and negatively affects the life of the infected.
Causes of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Causes of Obsessive-compulsive Disorder can be biological, organic and environmental factors. There can be pathways of neurons that communicate in the brain. Sometimes, OCD is inherited from parents. Environmental causes like physical abuse, mental torture, the death of loved ones, change in living situations, relationship concerns etc., can add to the causes of OCD.
Symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Common behavioral symptoms include
- Repeated washing
- Frequent nightmares
- Repeated checking
- Excessive cleaning
- Checking for dirt
Some people may develop various superstitions. Unreasonable fears are also behavioral symptoms.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
In Ayurveda, OCD is presented as Atatva Abhinivesha. It means â€œNon Existentâ€ â€œStrict Adherenceâ€. Some natural
- Panchakarma treatment is a purification procedure prescribed in Ayurvedic treatment for Obsessive-compulsive Disorder (OCD). Bathing, concentration, oil massage and such purification activities are included in it.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Brahma Rasayana, PanchagavyaGhrita, Mahapanchagavya Ghrita, Brahmi Ghrita, Vaacha Choorna, Saraswata Choorna, Brahmi Vati, Mansyadi Kashaya, among others are used to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD).
- Meditation and yoga will help you calm down and reduce anxiety. Yoga poses calm the body and reduce anxiety. Cat stretch, fish pose, bow pose and bridge pose are very helpful. Breathing exercises can be highly beneficial too. Kapal Bhati Pranayam, Bhastrika Pranayam, and Nadi Shodan Pranayam are useful breathing exercises to prevent OCD. Controlling stress reduces the major probabilities of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD).
Other Natural Remedies For OCD
Exercise helps you focus on other things and increase your concentration and attention. It positively impacts the mind to be calm and focused. Swimming, jogging, cycling, walking, aerobics, dancing, etc releases endorphins. They are called â€˜Feel Good Hormoneâ€™.
Oats are the best natural remedies for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD). So they should be consumed during breakfasts
Magnesium relaxes the body and helps the systematic functioning of the nervous system. So it is essential to consume magnesium rich food like leafy vegetables, bananas, avocados, beans, seeds, nuts, etc.
Never Skip Meals
Never skip meals. They may lower blood pressure and increase stress related symptoms. Irregular eating will only lead to OCD. So it is better to plan and schedule a daily diet and meal.
Sleep and take proper rest at night. Have a good sleep of 6 to 7 hours. It is better to sleep early and get up early in the morning for exercise and oat and milk breakfast.
- Request someone to give you a gentle body massage. It will help you relax and distress yourself. Also, helps you concentrate on other things. It will battle symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in a short time if you have it regularly.
- Stop or never consume alcohol, cafe items, soft drinks, and nicotine items. Never some, or if you do, quit it. It will cause you to consume more as a part of OCD.
- Lemon Balms are herbal that calms the nervous system. It prevents anxiety, depression, headaches and other problems related to OCD.
- Acupuncture is an ancient technique for natural treatment of an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Various organs and body parts are targeted to relieve anxiety and depression.
- Psychotherapy can be conducted by Counsellor to help you understand your feelings and behavior carefully. Problems can be detected at the root level and efforts can be taken to resolve them.
- St. Johnâ€™s Wort herbal has antidepressant properties and affects the serotonin level in the body. It naturally treats anxiety and depression without any side-effects. Thus prevents Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD).
- Aromatherapy is calming the tired body. Pour ten drops of lavender or rosemary oil to a bathtub of warm water. Soak in the warm water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Consume vitamin B12 rich foods like shellfish, liver, fish, low-fat dairy products and eggs. Deficiency of vitamin B12 causes fatigue, depression or anemia. Chronic deficiency may lead to central and nervous system damage. This may further lead to OCD in long term.
Ayurvedic Treatment can cure Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Chikitsa.com affiliates with the best of specialized Ayurvedic hospitals in India.