7 Best Essential Oils For Sciatica Nerve Pain
Back pain can show up in any form and one such form is sciatica nerve pain. This pain radiates from the lower back and passes through the side or back of the legs. The pain can be mild, sharp, or severe and there are many essential oils for sciatica nerve pain that can cure it effectively. Let us look at them besides how to use these oils.
What Is Sciatica Nerve Pain?
Pain associated with sciatica nerve is sciatica nerve pain and this pain is felt only on 1 side of the body. It usually starts from the hip and ends at the leg bottom.
Sciatica pain can happen due to a bone split, a herniated disk, or tapering of the spine. Most often the pain, numbness, inflammation associated with it goes away with non-operative methods but rarely surgery may be needed when there is a bladder or bowel change, in addition to a significant weakness of the leg.
Symptoms Of Sciatica Pain
Symptoms consist of back pain besides;
- Lower back pain
- Leg or butt pain that increases when one sits
- Pain in the hip
- Tingling or burning sensation in the leg
- Numbness, weakness or difficulty while moving foot or leg
- Experiencing severe to mild pain constantly on one part of the butt
- A pain that shoots down the leg giving trouble while standing or sitting
The hallmark of the pain is, it radiates from the lower spine to the butt and reaches the leg. Feeling of discomfort at any point of the nerve path is also another common symptom. However, the pain usually follows the path through the butt and reaches the back of the calf or thigh. Usually, it affects only one side of the body that could be either right or left.
Causes Of Sciatica Pain
It occurs when the sciatic nerve is strained most commonly from a bone spur or a herniated disk.
The other causes include;
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disease of the disk
- Muscle spasm in the butt or back
The other causes include overweight, lack of physical activity, high heels, sleeping on beds that are so soft.
In general, whatever that can lead to back pain may lead to it.
Essential Oils For Sciatica Nerve Pain
Most of the time essential oils are highly useful in treating the pain and they have been recommended by doctors, here are few essential oils for sciatica pain relief.
1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
It is highly useful in treating nerve pain and muscle pains. Due to analgesic and anti-inflammatory qualities, they have a soothing and warming effect. Massage the oil beginning from the back to the thighs for quick relief.
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for sciatica pain during pregnancy. It has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory effects and as such it not only relieves sciatic pain but also other kinds of pains such as backache and headaches. It also gives emotional stability.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is another good source to reduce sciatic pain due to its pain-relieving nature.
4. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary isn’t only kitchen oil and works wonders as far as relieving pain is concerned. It’s one of the therapeutic uses is lessening pain.
5. Wintergreen Oil
Wintergreen oil is a quick relief of pain as it has methyl salicylate-an ingredient in Aspirin. It effectively relieves leg spasms and lowers compression of the sciatic nerve.
6. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is probably the quickest solution one can find in oils. It is anti-inflammatory, mild sedative, analgesic, and antispasmodic. It also restores the health of nerves.
7. Ginger Essential Oil
The ginger essential oil has compounds known as “sesquiterpene” which gives analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effects. It works better as a warming oil.
How To Use Essential Oils To Relieve Sciatica Pain?
- Topical Application: Irrespective of the oil used, applying it on the affected area is the best method. Use 4-5 drops of it and massage lightly. Few oils need to be diluted to check for how to use the section.
- Inhalation is also one more method. Inhaling essential oils through the nose effectively lessens inflammation and pain.
- Oil-infused bath is another method and in fact the best method. Add 10 drops to a bathtub and take a bath leisurely.
Other Tips To Manage Sciatica Nerve Pain
- Walk-in a swimming pool
- Keep your mind-body composed
- Try massaging and acupuncture
- Take supplements that make the nerves and muscles strong especially vitamin D, zinc and selenium
- Avoid inflammation-causing foods
- Stay away from smoking
When To See A Doctor?
When all these fail remember that you need a doctor to treat the condition. When you can’t control the bladder or bowel seek immediate doctor support.
Follow all the home remedies besides using essential oils for sciatica nerve pain for quick and longer relief.