Home Remedies for Burping
Burping isn't something serious for you to get worried about, albeit, it could be a shade embarrassing. Most of the time, burping is the result of swallowing air. Why do we burp, and what really happens when we burp? The logic is pretty simple - when we swallow air, it has to find an outlet, and most of the time it goes out the same way it comes in - through the mouth.When we burp, the gas from the stomach is forced up into the oesophagus and out through the mouth. In fact, burping is very beneficial to us as it serves as an escape vent for the intestinal gas within us.
In medical parlance, burping is known as eructation. Burping is a accepted in most of the Eastern societies as an appreciative expression or sign of a good meal. But, that is absolutely not acceptable in Western cultures as it is just not the done thing.
We aim to tell you a few home remedies for burping as well as a few tips that help you eliminate burping altogether. Burping may be natural, but you can limit your embarrassment by using these home remedies for burping problem.
Home Remedies for Burping:
Lemon juice works wonders for burps and belches - be it fresh lemon or from the bottle. Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup cold water. Drink it immediately after food, and you will discover that your constant burping has disappeared.
Ginger is one of the most popular remedies for treating stomach and gastrointestinal disorders, and it can also help you stop burping. Chew a piece of ginger 2-3 times a day, andit will help you getrid burps. People who cannot tolerate the taste of ginger can eat it with some honey to make it more edible. You could also make a habit of drinking ginger tea.
Yoghurt is a miracle food that can work wonders for your belching.The live bacteria culture will cure you of all stomach problems and cultivate good bacteria in your stomach. It is an excellent alternative for lactose-intolerant people. Dilute yoghurt with water and add a few cumin seeds for developing a healthy stomach and digestive system and also reduce the episodes of burping.
Asafoetida and Fennel
Take two tablespoons of fennel seeds and add 1/4th teaspoon asafoetida to it. Take this mixture twice a day with some honey if you have severe burps.Asafoetida and fennel are an effective solution for burping. This is a natural cure and does not cause any discomfort or side effects.
Mint has been found to offersubstantial relief to stomach ailments and gas related problems. Chew mint leaves or prepare a tea by boiling mint leaves in a glass of water. It is advisable to take mint tea twice every day to control the symptoms naturally.
Lemon and Baking Soda
Lemon is a very effective remedy for controlling chronic burps. Take one tablespoon of lemon juice and add a quarter spoon of baking soda to it. Mix it in a glass of water and drink it after you have your meals. This will prevent burping and help in digestion.
The papaya has a number of health-enhancing and medicinal qualities, and one of them is controlling burps. The papaya contains an enzyme called papain that helps in digestion, and also prevents gas formation, thereby doing away with burps altogether.
Now, here are a few do's and don'ts that can help you solve the problem of burps and belches.
- Eat slowly: Eat slowly and close your mouth to a minimum, and that will prevent air from going into your stomach.When you gulp down your food, you also gulp in a lot of air. Burping is caused when too much air is let into the stomach while chewing.
- Stop Smoking: Smoking causes severe burping as too much smoke gets trapped in the body - and this could be detrimental to the health of the smokers in the long run. When people smoke heavily, they inhale more smoke than they exhale, leading to harmful nicotine getting accumulated in the body. Burps are produced as a form of reflux action.
- Avoid carbonated drinks: Carbonated drinks are likely to cause belching because of the fizz they contain. And, also avoid wine and beer.
- Increase your fluid intake, especially water.
- Throw away that straw: Drinking beverages through a straw causes people to swallow more air.
- Avoid certain foods: Studies have shown that some foods contain more air than others - foods such as whipped cream and fluffy omelettes.
- Avoid extremely hot beverages: Allow hot drinks to cool before you drink them. When you drink a scalding hot drink, you may gulp in a lot of air.
- Try staying active: Try to be active and don't lie down after you eat. Activity will bring out the burps and not let them build up inside you.