How To Use Turmeric For Weight Loss
Who has not seen or heard about turmeric - that wonderful spice that forms an intrinsic part of cooking in most of the Asian countries?But, who could fathom that this magical herb could possess so many medicinal and antiseptic properties, to be almost considered as a divine herb? But, the magic herb doesn't possess just medicinal properties - in fact, turmeric for weight loss is the slogan.
Turmeric, the main spice in curry, is definitely the most powerful herb on this planet known to fight potentially dangerous and incurables diseases. This is possible as Turmeric has tremendous healing properties.The herb, which comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant, has long been used as a medicine and as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine.Turmeric,traditionally known as the "Indian saffron" because of its deep yellow-orange color, has been used as a condiment, healing remedy, antiseptic, and textile dye. Turmeric is one of the most frequently mentioned medicinal herbs in science and one of the most popularly used one. But, turmeric and weight loss have been associated for a long time.
Turmeric possesses a number of tremendous properties that makes it one of the most commonly used herbs for a wide range of uses. Turmeric contains curcumin, which has innumerable medicinal, healing, and antiseptic properties.It is often referred to as the "Queen of Spices" due to the many anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties it contains. It is also full of nutrients such as fiber, protein, potassium, calcium, iron, and Vitamins C, E and K. But, more specifically, it has tremendous medicinal properties that promote weight loss benefits also . One of the major problems that the society is facing today is that of obesity. And, obesity is responsible for a host of medical problems like osteoarthritis, gallstones, liver problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and sleep apnea. The problem of obesity can be best tackled by natural methods rather than through medication. One of the best natural methods for beating weight loss is by using turmeric for weight loss associated with a program involving physical exercises and dieting.
Health Benefits of Turmeric for Weight Loss
The benefits of Curcumin in the use of medicine dates back to 6,000 years, when ancient Egyptian Pharaohs and Ayurvedic medical practitioners in India first discovered its beneficial properties.
Studies have shown that turmeric increases the flow of bile in the stomach, which helps to break down fat. Taking just a teaspoon of turmeric before each meal can help your digestion by breaking down the fat that is responsible foryour gaining weight.Turmeric and weight lossgo together - as it helps fight insulin resistance and control sugar levels, factors responsible for weight gain. This not only keeps you from retaining extra fat, but lowers your chances of developing diabetes. But, if you already have diabetes, it helps you control your glucose.
The Curcumin Acts on The Body in a Four-Pronged Manner:
How Does Turmeric Help in Weight Loss?
- Fat burning is critical to weight loss, and the function of the liver is essential for fat-burning. Studies have found that when the liver gets damaged, the process of detoxification is reduced. Turmeric can help detoxify the liver and protect cell damage caused due to environmental pollutants and free radicals.
- High cholesterol causes plaque build-up in the arterial walls leading to coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis, and weight gain. Turmeric extracts can lower blood cholesterol levels - especially LDL â€˜badâ€™ cholesterol, which has lipid lowering properties. This can reduce cholesterol levels and benefit weight loss by reducing adipose tissue weight gain.
- Thermogenesis is a process that takes place when fat is burned by the central nervous system in order to maintain body temperature. Curcumin, present in turmeric, can attach itself to capsaicin receptors and increase thermogenesis rates. This leads to greater fat burning and you find turmeric aiding weight loss.
- Similar to the growth of tumors, adipose tissues which store fat cells, require angiogenesis to provide the required nutrients and oxygen to adipocytes (fat cells). Curcumin is believed to have anti-angiogenic properties that could reduce fat mass and inhibit fat tissue growth, and therefore lead to weight loss in obese people.
- Regularly taking turmeric can lead to lowered triglycerides, fatty acid, blood glucose, liver fat, and blood cholesterol levels. Curcumin is known to help reduce inflammation, and therefore helps in reducing the risk of developing arthritis and heart problems.
- Turmeric is known to regulate lipid metabolism, which is the main cause of obesity and related health issues. Turmeric also improves digestion, and helps protect the liver and other important organs.
Precautions For the Use of Turmeric
Though Turmeric is Safe to Consume as a Food, You Should Take The Following Precautions:
- You should consult your doctor when you are taking blood-thinners.
- Turmeric supplements must be stopped two weeks prior to a surgery.
- Turmeric must not be taken by diabetic patients, people with gallbladder problems, and pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- When taken in excess, turmeric supplements could cause nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, or dizziness.
- You should be especially careful when using supplements and it is always better to use organic turmeric powder than supplements. Remember that when turmeric is taken as a supplement, it can interact with certain medicines that you may be taking.
- For people suffering from liver problems, too much turmeric in your diet can put a burden on your liver. Hence, it is necessary to consult your doctor before you start using turmeric supplements.Potential side effects of turmeric may include allergic reactions, bile duct damage, and liver damage.
- The normal daily dosage of turmeric should be about 2 grams per day. When taking supplements, you should take into consideration the amount of turmeric that you are taking in from other sources of food.
It is well known that turmeric and belly fat go hand-in-hand while you are dieting. But, you ought to adopt other healthy eating practices such eating breakfast regularly every day,and chewing your food properly.You ought to keep in mind that consumption of just the right amount of turmeric can slow down the increase of belly fat. The right dose of turmeric can definitely help you lose belly fat, but remember to combine it with regular physical exercises.