23 Surprising Benefits of Coconut Water for Skin, Hair and Health
Coconut water has been dubbed as 'Mother Nature's best drink' by half the people around the world. This natural drink, which in low in calories, is found to be fat-free and cholesterol-free, and is full of essential minerals. Coconut water can be called the ultimate thirst quencher that offers a tasty alternative to water. This pure liquid is packed with nutrients and offers a wide array of health benefits.
What Is Coconut Water?
Coconut water is a sweet clear liquid found in the center of a tender coconut, and not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk. Coconut water, which is rich in carbohydrates in the form of sugar and electrolytes, is easily digestible. It has fewer calories, less sodium, and contains more potassium than any sports or health drink. Coconut water has less sugar than most of the sports drinks and much less sugar than sodas and some fruit juices.
There are a number of health benefits of consuming coconut water. It is an all-natural way to hydrate, reduce sodium, and add potassium to your diet - and all these benefits are yours without adding any calories. Coconut water is not only beneficial for the skin and the hair, but for your overall health.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Overall Health
1. Coconut water may be better at replacing lost fluids than any other drink or water. Studies have revealed that coconut water replenishes body fluids better than other drinks, but most athletes preferred the taste of the sports drinks to coconut water.
2. Coconut water enhanced with sodium was as good as drinking any sports drink for post-exercise rehydration and having better fluid tolerance. Moreover, coconut water caused less nausea, fullness, and stomach upset and was easier to consume in large amounts during rehydration.
3. The fat content in coconut water is extremely low, and so large quantities can be consumed without any fear of putting on weight. Another advantage is that it also suppresses appetite and makes you feel full because of its rich nature.
4. People who had indulged in a lot of alcoholic drinks and are left with a heavy hangover, can consume coconut water to settle their stomach. It also replaces those essential electrolytes that are thrown out of the body when they experience bouts of frequent urination and vomiting.
5. People suffering from persistent and constant digestion problems can experience a lot of relief with coconut water. As coconut water has a high concentration of fiber, it aids in the prevention of indigestion and reduces acid reflux recurrences.
6. In many cases, a disturbance in the level of electrolytes can result in high blood pressure. As coconut water contains an adequate supply of electrolytes, it can be used as a balancing mechanism. Sometimes, it is recommended to consume coconut water at the start of each day to ensure the balance of these electrolytes.
7. Unlike most of the other beverages, coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body. These include calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium. The unique composition of coconut water is excellent for people with various types of medical conditions.
8. Since it is isotonic to human plasma, coconut water can be used in extreme emergencies to quickly rehydrate the human body if administered intravenously. It is very common for the coconut water to be used in poorer countries to save human lives.
9. Coconut water promotes cardiovascular health. A healthy heart needs nutritious food to ensure proper pumping of the blood - and coconut water is one such food.
10. It is a very good source of magnesium, and helps in improving your metabolism.
11. One of the very good health benefits of coconut water is prevention of kidney stones. Kidney stones can cause a lot of pain, and may result in serious health issues. Drinking coconut water can help in preventing them. Studies have revealed that coconut water reduces kidney stone formation.
12. Coconut water gives relief from muscle cramps, which is caused due to potassium deficiency. Large quantities of potassium can be found in coconut water.
13. Coconut water is great for bones as it contains large amounts of calcium required for strengthening the bones.
14. Coconut water reduces gas-related bloating, which most of the time, could be due to a high-sodium diet.
15. While other sugar-filled and aerated drinks add calories, coconut water helps in weight-loss.
16. Coconut water contains a lot of antioxidants, which help prevent the damage to our bodies caused by free radicals. Free radicals are produced by our own metabolism, so the only way to neutralize the damage is by making sure you consume enough antioxidants in your diet.
Coconut water benefits for your skin
17. Coconut water is extremely advantageous for those suffering from acne, blemishes, or other skin problems. Topical application of coconut water can help a great deal as it has the ability to clear up and tone the skin. Coconut water also moisturizes the skin from inside, and if taken orally it removes oil from the body.
18. Proper hydration ensures that you have a great skin. The sun, pollution, and harsh soaps can deprive your skin of its natural moisture, and leave it dry. A face mask made of coconut water and lemon juice can be the perfect non-greasy way to instill your skin with some much-needed moisture.
19. Wrinkles, lines, and age spots are sure to appear as your skin ages. But if you take the proper care, these signs of aging can be delayed. Coconut water is an excellent solution. If you are looking for a sure way to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, give coconut water a try.
20. The human skin is susceptible to bacteria and fungi, which can cause skin infections and result in rashes or irritated skin. Coconut water can help you prevent and treat the condition - topical application of coconut water over the infected area can help reduce the symptoms and treat the infection.
21. Did you know that coconut water is an excellent remedy for acne and pimples? A toner, made with coconut water and honey, will not only help reduce acne, but will also leave you with a smoother skin.
Coconut water benefits for your hair
22. They say that the state of your hair often speaks of the condition of your overall health. Lack of certain nutrients can stunt hair growth or cause hair fall. Coconut water provides nutrients that can promote hair growth. Massage coconut water into the scalp on regularly and it will give wonderful results.
23. Rinse your hair with coconut water and you will find that it will give your hair an excellent lustre.
All these health advantages will certainly make you adopt coconut water to have a healthy life.