Treat Leg Pain During Menstruation Using Home Remedies
Menstruation is quite uncomfortable for most of the women as they suffer from cramps and pains that normally upset their daily routine as well. The premenstrual stress is quite severe in many cases and women often seek medical attention as well. Of all the discomfort and problems, the most common problem faced by women during their menstrual cycle is leg pain.
Leg pain or Menstrual leg cramps as they are called often start a day or two before the start of periods and can last throughout the menstrual period. This is the time when women look for leg pain during periods remedies that can help ease out the pain. While there are a number of drugs available for the same, opting for natural cures helps address the main cause of the problem.
Reasons For Leg Pain During Periods
Leg pain during period time can be caused when there is an involuntary muscle contraction, which does not relax for a long time. This mostly happens when there is dehydration or can also occur due to the deficiency of minerals or nutrients. During menstruation, the body of the woman loses the needed minerals like potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium and all these minerals play an important role in regulating the functions of the nerves and muscles. This explains why cramps are most common during menstruation.
Women also need to be aware of the fact that the release of some hormones during the periods actually increases the existing leg pain and spasms. Most of the women face cramps in their abdomen, feet and thighs.
Other Causes of Leg Pain During Menstruation
- A woman’s body produces a chemical called Prostaglandins, and this chemical is known to be the main reason for a number of menstrual symptoms and discomfort. This chemical is made by the tissues that line the uterus and this itself stimulates the contraction of the uterine muscles.
- Women who have very high levels of prostaglandin often experience more contractions and those with low levels have fewer contractions. Some women may also experience symptoms like diarrhea, nausea and headaches along with severe thigh pain during menstruation.
- Menstrual leg cramps can also occur due to a condition called Endometriosis, due to the uterine tissue that is located outside of the uterus.
- Women who are suffering from Fibroids or adenomyosis can also experience severe leg and thigh pain. Fibroids are noncancerous growths that occur in the uterus.
- Women who have an infection in their reproductive organs can also experience throbbing legs during their period.
- Excessive bleeding and severe cramps can also be expected when there is an occurrence of abnormal pregnancy like ectopic pregnancy where the pregnancy occurs in the tubes and outside of the uterus.
- Women who are trying out IUD for the first time can also experience leg cramps during their menstrual period. IUD is an intra Uterine Device that is used for birth control.
- Some of the other conditions that can worsen the leg cramps during periods are an ovarian cyst and Narrow cervix.
The condition where the woman has menstrual pain from the time her periods first started is called as Primary Dysmenorrheal. If the menstrual pain is caused due to any physical condition like a pelvic inflammatory disease, the condition is called as Secondary Dysmenorrheal. The condition of secondary dysmenorrheal can be treated with drugs after which the pain reduces or goes away completely.
How to Recognize Leg Cramps During Menstruation?
Leg pain or cramps during periods can be easily recognized as there would be a sharp pain when resting or during exercising. The muscles that are affected are often stiff or seem to be hot when touched. These muscles also turn harder when compared to the muscles surrounding them. If the pain is moderate and bearable, try to stretch a little or massage the area, after which it slowly subsides.
Leg Pain During Periods Remedies
There are a number of remedies for leg pain during periods that can be followed at home to get some immediate relief. Some of the home remedies are mentioned below.
- The very first step you need to do when having leg pain or leg cramps during your periods is to keep yourself well-hydrated. Make sure to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day. This will make sure your body is not dehydrated, as it often leads to cramps. You can also gulp down fresh fruit juices or coconut water from time to time along with water to stay hydrated. Coconut water is considered to be an excellent home remedy for leg pain during periods as it provides the body with essential minerals and nutrients and rehydrates it.
- Many women face digestion problems during their menstruation, which often leads to cramps. If you are one of those, you can try having a banana as it improves digestion and it also provides potassium and calcium to your body. As bananas help create electrolyte balance, try consuming at least once a day to keep the cramps away.
- Ginger tea is another wonderful remedy that you can try if suffering from menstrual leg cramps. One can make ginger tea at home and can have it with a dash of lemon or honey. Ginger is known to have high amounts of antioxidants, which help relieve leg pain and also aid in circulation.
- Another home remedy that works wonders in treating menstrual leg pains is Chamomile. The soothing effect of this herb relaxes all the muscles and helps relieve the pain in no time.
- Women who are anaemic also suffer from severe cramps and leg pain during their periods. If you are one of those, make sure to have a diet that is rich in iron and minerals. You can as well take iron or calcium supplements to relieve cramping. Also, remember to add fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet as they improve blood circulation.
- Take about a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and boil them in 2 glasses of water. Let the water boil till it’s reduced to about a glass. Leave the seeds in the water overnight. Remove the seeds and drink this water early in the morning. You can follow this once in two days to get rid of leg pain during your periods.
In cases when the cramps or the leg pain is severe, and you do not get relief from home remedies, do consult your physician immediately. Chikitsa provides a list of best ayurvedic doctors in Bangalore and across pan India.