Can Homeopathy Cure Thyroid Permanently?
Let’s understand certain basics about the thyroid gland before getting to know about its dysfunctions and homoeopathic treatment for thyroid.
- The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the neck around the trachea.
- Thyroid gland releases T3 (tri-iodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine) and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) in response to Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone (TRH) secreted by the pituitary gland.
- T4 is present an inactive form of the thyroid gland. It is made active by conversion into T3 inside the liver.
- About 99% of T3 and T4 are present in bound form in circulation.
- The thyroid gland is larger in females than in males and it increases in size during menstruation and pregnancy.
- Iodine is essential for normal functioning of the thyroid.
Normal Values For Thyroid Hormones Are
|T3||60 – 181 ng/dL|
|T4||4.5 – 10 ug/dL|
|TSH||0.5 – 4.7 mU/L|
|Free T3||1.4 – 4.4 pg/mL|
|Free T3||0.2 – 2.7 ng/dL|
Normal Functions of The Thyroid Gland Are
- The thyroid gland is responsible for physical and mental growth and development.
- The thyroid gland regulates Basal Metabolic rate (BMR).
- Responsible for metabolism of calcium in the body.
- Regulation of cardiac output and heart rate.
- Stimulates break down of fats and proteins.
- Important for normal reproductive function in females.
The Most Common Presenting Thyroid Disorders Include
Weight gain, cold intolerance, fatigue, low pulse, hypertension, heavy menstrual flow and even infertility in females, dry skin and hair loss.
|Hyperthyroidism||Weight loss, increased appetite, tremors, heat intolerance, tachycardia and palpitations. Goitre or thyroid gland may be enlarged.|
|Goitre||Enlargement of the thyroid gland – can be diffuse, multi-nodular or single thyroid nodule enlargement. |
Thyroid function tests help to identify presence and degree of thyroid dysfunction in patients who are either asymptomatic or have vague symptoms like weight loss or gain and fatigue. Other diseases are Grave’s disease, autoimmune thyroid disease, iodine associated thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.
Thyroid diseases, likewise, can be subclinical, acute or chronic. Thyroid disease is the most common endocrine disorder across the world. About 32% of the Indian population suffers from thyroid disorders. Although thyroid diseases are one of the most common, yet, they are not a leading cause of mortality.
A Recent Epidemiological Study Conducted in India to Assess Thyroid Disorders Among the General Population Showed
- Congenital hypothyroidism is common in India. 1 out of 2000 newborns is hypothyroid.
- There is a significant delay in identifying congenital hypothyroidism primarily due to lack of awareness and medical facilities.
- Among 800 children taken for study in Mumbai, about 79% had hypothyroidism.
- Women had higher prevalence of hypothyroidism.
- In a study from Cochin, about 1.6% population had subclinical or overt hyperthyroidism.
- About 12% adults had palpable goiter. Maximum cases were in individuals from northern states of India.
- About 16% of general population had auto-immune thyroiditis.
Apart from the potentially terminal diseases, patients having hypo or hyperthyroidism and goiter have a common worry – is my thyroid disease permanent?
Can Homoeopathy Cure Thyroid Permanently?
This question is asked by plenty of patients who visit clinic setups in search for a more holistic and natural way of treating their thyroid agony. Patients who seek Homoeopathic consultation are either existing patients of thyroid who have been taking treatment for a long period of time or those who have been diagnosed with a thyroid disease recently.
Both these categories have a common question in their minds – can Homoeopathy cure my thyroid disease permanently? To begin with, Homoeopathy is a unique system of medicine which has been quite underrated right from its inception.
Working of Homoeopathic Medicines
- Homoeopathy works upon the principle of symptom similarity and individuality which is to say that a Homoeopathic medicine is prescribed only if the symptoms of the patient match with symptoms of a corresponding remedy. No two cases are considered the same in Homoeopathy.
- Right from the advent of Homoeopathy, the perception of a patient’s mind and behaviour has been given ample importance along with the physical complaints.
- Modern Homoeopathy also perceives mental symptoms as the basis of their prescription; whereas some prescriptions are also made only based upon the diagnosis.
- In Homoeopathy, medicines are not prescribed simply based on numerical values of thyroid hormones. But this also doesn’t mean that investigation do not have any role in Homoeopathy; in fact, investigations are the only means to understand how effectively our medicines work.
Are Homoeopathic Medicines Really Effective?
- A lot of doubts have been continuously raised upon the scope of Homoeopathy in managing thyroid dysfunctions or any disease for that matter.
- Plenty of researchers and case studies are being conducted all over the world to prove that Homoeopathy is an evidence-based science.
- The results of these studies are supportive that subclinical and mild hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and auto-immune thyroiditis can be cured permanently with Homoeopathy.
- Homoeopathy has a supportive or palliative role to play in an incurable or end-stage thyroid diseases.
- A research made by IIT proved that Homoeopathy is based on nanotechnology, rubbishing the rumours that Homoeopathy only has a placebo effect.
Cure per se
- Homoeopathy has shown marvellous cures in sub-clinical, acute as well as chronic cases of the thyroid.
- But a Homoeopath also understands that certain diseases like a cancer of the thyroid gland cannot be cured. Right from the teaching years, the students and practitioners of Homoeopathy have realized their limitations when it comes to practising medicine.
- When I speak of curability, I would also like to specify that the term cure can be very subjective – both for the patient and the Homoeopathic physician. This is because every person is born with some genetic traits which pre-dispose him/ her to certain diseases.
- To one person, the disappearance of physical symptoms can be a cure; while, to some, the return of thyroid hormones to their normal values can be a cure. A Homoeopath perceives cure to be a general sensation of well being, mentally as well as physically. The Homoeopathic physician uses the support of thyroid values to prove that his medicines have been effective.
Top Homoeopathic Remedies Specifically For Thyroid Disorders
Indicated for auto-immune thyroid disease (diffuse toxic goitre) in persons who are extremely sensitive to cold. Skin and hair are dry and lusterless.
The stony hardness of the thyroid gland – hard goitre in children prone to glandular affections. There is a sensation of suffocation.
Indicated for toxic goitre with cardiac symptoms. A sensation of constriction of the heart with an iron band. Palpitations in females just before menses and suffocative sensation in the throat.
4. Calcarea Carb
For swelling of glands. Indicated for pituitary and thyroid dysfunction predominantly in females. Calcarea has fear of misfortune, is forgetful and is averse to any kind of work or exertion. Calcarea patient is fair, obese and unable to tolerate cold with excessive sweating around the head. Hypothyroidism and goitre with difficulty in swallowing. Constipation in hypothyroidism.
5. Fluoric Acid
Indicated for goitre in pre-maturely aged or old age. Flouric acid is typically indifferent to even his closest relatives and friends. Hair falls with thyroid disorders. Females have heavy menses lasting too long.
A specific remedy for thyroid enlargement with exophthalmos in obese individuals. Delayed digestion and constipation.
Indicated for goitre in puberty and during pregnancy. Poor digestion and constipation with thyroid disorders. Unhealthy skin. Heavy menses in females having goitre.
Most frequently used the remedy to manage hypothyroidism and goitre. Rapid loss of flesh in spite of a good appetite. Sluggish circulation and sluggish reactive powers. Thyroid enlargement with a sense of constriction in the throat. Irregular menses in females. Patients have anxiety when quiet and have fear of people.
This medicine has a specific action upon thyroid, pancreas and the gastrointestinal tract. Goitre with burning heat inside the throat. Patients have a poor appetite.
10. Lapis Alba
Indicated for goitre in fat and anemic babies who get excess iodine in their diet. The thyroid gland is enlarged but not stony hard.
11. Lycopus Virginicus
It is a heart remedy also indicated in exophthalmos from thyroid gland enlargement – a toxic goitre. Outward protrusion of eyes with pain above the eyes. Palpitations with an enlarged thyroid.
12. Natrum Mur
Indicated for anemic persons arising from taking excess salt. Hyperthyroidism and goitre in persons who are sensitive to all external impressions. Irritable and depressed in chronic ailments. Hot and sweaty hand and cold feet. Dry skin and hair fall.
This is the most frequently indicated remedy for all kinds of glandular swellings and inflammations. Patients have loss of weight. A great remedy for thyroid diseases causing gastric disturbances. Skin is dry and itchy and there is an excess of hair fall. The patient is extremely irritable and indifferent even towards his own family members.
Indicated for thyroid disorders and goitre with exophthalmos in patients who have a lot of exhaustion even after slightest exertion with a flushed face. Difficulty in breathing with anxiety. Swelling of the thyroid gland with burning sensation inside the throat and hoarseness of voice. There is a feeling of a plus inside the larynx. The patient wakes up at night from a sensation of suffocation.
This remedy is a gem in the management of all kinds of thyroid problems. Hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, enlargement of thyroid glands or nodular goitre. It is also known for its benefits in myxedema and cretinism. Impaired growth and delayed development in children. Patients are obese, have palpitations from least exertion and have an extreme craving for sweets. Dryness of skin and hair.
Homoeopathy has a collection of more than 8000 proven remedies for treating all kinds of health issues. The list mentioned above is just a glimpse of what Homoeopathy has to offer in management and treatment of certain thyroid diseases.
A particular Homoeopathic remedy is prescribed only after a detailed case taking and physical examination. It is not obligatory to prescribe only one out of the above mentioned remedies. A Homoeopath will prescribe what he finds suitable for your particular case. Therefore, it would be beneficial if you visit a qualified Homoeopathic doctor for proper consultation.
Therefore, the question, can thyroid diseases can be cured permanently, can only be answered by your treating Homoeopathic physician depending upon what kind of thyroid disease you have and at what stage you show up to their clinic. Likewise, your Homoeopath will be able to tell you if Homoeopathy can treat thyroid nodules, hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism or goitre.