Ayurvedic Herbs For Hair Growth And Hair Loss Prevention
One of the major problems that most men and women face in their middle age, and sometimes earlier, is that of hair loss. Hair loss can be embarrassing and dampen one’s self esteem and confidence considerably. While hair loss is a common problem for both men and women, it is more prevalent in men. When treated early hair loss can be reduced and even controlled totally.
Ayurveda believes that hair fall is very much associated with the body type and the stability of one's mind and body structure. According to the Ayurveda School of Medicine, the hair is considered as a byproduct of bone formation. The tissues which are responsible for the formation of bones are also responsible for the hair growth. Hair fall is associated with Pitta dosha in Ayurveda, an excess of Pitta in the body is the chief cause of hair loss. More and more people are turning towards Ayurveda for a solution to their hair loss problem.
Ayurvedic hair loss treatment measures are very effective and help in controlling hair loss. The Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss includes diet, meditation, yoga, and also medicated herbal oil massage.
Ayurveda is a safe and cost effective alternative medicine to cure hair loss problems. Ayurveda offers a number of home remedies that stops hair fall completely if it used in the early stage of hair fall. As per the Ayurvedic philosophy, hair loss is caused due to excess of Pitta dosha in the body. Pitta dosha increases in the body due to excess intake of alcohol, coffee, tea, smoking, fried, spicy and acidic food, as well as a hot climatic environment.
Following Ayurvedic Herbal Cures for Effectively Stopping Hair Loss and Hair Growth
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is very effective in controlling hair loss and also helps in the regrowth of hair. A combination of Aloe Vera juice and a bit of cumin used 2-3 times a day for 3 months will stop thinning of hair.
- Bhringaraaja: Bhringaraaja, which is known as the king of hair, is the best Ayurvedic herb to control hair loss. It is also known as the king of herbs because it has the power of reversing the baldness and prevents graying of hair. It can be taken both internally and externally.
An application of the Bhringaraaja leaf paste, if applied over the scalp, can enhance hair growth. The paste is left on for a few minutes and washed off with clean water. Make a mixture of dried Bhringaraaja in 5 tsp and warm water. Cool and apply the same to the scalp for strengthening the hair follicles.
- Amla: Amla, or the Indian Gooseberry, is abundant in a number of minerals, vitamins including Vitamin C, and antioxidants. It acts as a hair tonic, makes your hair stronger, healthier, and prevents it from graying. It is a good conditioner and regular intake of its juice removes dandruff. A mixture of Amla powder, henna, Brahmi powder mixd with curd works as an excellent hair pack.The juice of Amla and lemon may be used on the scalp and washed off after 20 minutes - It helps to strengthen hair follicles.
- Brahmi: Brahmi or Centella Asiatica, as it is known by its botanical name, promotes healthy hair. It also works as a brain tonic that improves memory, intelligence, concentration and alertness. It also promotes healthy skin. Massage your scalp with Brahmi oil (Gotu Kola) and it will energize the hair follicles and improve the blood circulation in the head region. It can be mixed with curd and can be used as a hair pack.
- Ritha : Ritha, which is also known as Soap Nut, works wonders on the hair, skin, and facial complexion. It promotes hair growth, cleans the hair, and prevents hair fall by strengthening the hair follicles. Remove 10 nuts from its cover, crush and soak in half a litre of water. Leave it overnight, strain it, wash your hair with this liquid, and rinse it off. Do this for a month and you will find a tremendous difference in your hair. Massaging the scalp with this powder, followed by washing it thoroughly will result in healthy and shining hair.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha, or Withania Somnifera, which is the botanical name is also known as the Indian Ginseng. It is used for menopausal and sexual problems, and also works as a memory booster, mood elevator and revitalizer. Ashwagandha can be used as an immunity booster and strengthens the hair.
- Methi: Methi or Fenugreek seeds are one of the effective remedies to control hair fall. Prepare a mixture of 2 tsp of Methi, 2 tsp of green gram, 3 tsp of soap nut, juice of 1 lemon, and 15 curry leaves. This mixture can be used as a shampoo.
- Margosa: Margosa or Neem is an excellent remedy to prevent hair fall. Boil 1 cup of margosa leaves in 4 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool the mixture and apply it on the scalp and rinse your hair. You can also do this - Apply Neem oil at night and wash off in the morning with fresh water - it helps prevent hair fall.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are a great source of magnesium and calcium, which is good for the hair. Make it a point to eat sesame seeds and calcium every day.
- Banyan: The Banyan tree has excellent medicinal properties to prevent hair fall. Grind a small portion of the banyan tree root and mix it with lemon juice and apply the mixture to the scalp. Wash off later.
Tips to Prevent Hair Loss
While the above remedies are effective for controlling hair loss, here are a few tips to prevent hair loss.
- Do yoga and meditation as these are effective stress busters and helps to lighten your mood.
- Drink sufficient water as an adequate amount of water is essential for the proper growth of hair.
- Don't comb the hair when it is wet.
- Ensure that you get about 7-8 hours of sound sleep.
- Avoid beverages like coffee and tea.
- Eat more of fruits and green vegetables.
- Make sure that your diet contains adequate proteins and iron.
- Avoid Pitta-aggravating spicy, fried, and oily foods.
- Applying the juice of coriander to the scalp prevents hair loss.
- Consume curds every day - it reduces hair fall to a large extent.
- Wash your hair regularly with a suitable shampoo.
- Prevent fungal infection of the scalp.
- Avoid hairstyles which pull your hair tightly.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks
- A massage of camphor and coconut oil makes your scalp healthy and strengthens the hair follicles.
- Rub the mixture of castor oil, mustard oil, and coconut oil to make your hair stronger.