Dandruff Causes and Home Remedies
Dandruff is anybody’s nightmare and cause for social embarrassment. The advertisements we see in the television make us fear it all the more. However, this is a common condition in modern times and the treatment to it is rather simple and easy to follow. As the saying goes, right diagnosis is half the cure. Hence, it is important to assess the root cause in our lifestyle that is leading to dandruff and change them for results.
What Exactly is Dandruff?
Dandruff is nothing but skin eczema. There is a form of yeast that builds and spreads on the scalp leading to dandruff. The scalp sheds skin in the form of white flakes that spread when we comb the hair. It is known to be more common among those with oily skin. This form of skin disorder occurs not only on scalp but on face in the form of red marks or lines. What is important to note is that dandruff does not cause permanent hair loss. The spectrum ranges from occasional white power on the shoulders to severe itching due to dandruff.
What Does not Help in Removing Dandruff?
While the super markets pack loads of shampoos and creams to counter dandruff, not all are effective. One needs to exercise caution before choosing the right product. Common mistake is to pick up what others have, however one needs to understand the body type before choosing the solution. The below do not help you in directly reducing the problem,
1. Moving across shampoo brands – irrespective of the thickness and brightness the advertisements claim, normal shampoos do not remove dandruff. Some of them with chemical heavy content aggravate the problem. ‘Medicated shampoos’ that your doctor prescribes or found in medical stores can fight the battle to some extent
2. Creams – creams actually worsen the problem. If you have continuous issue (for weeks) of dandruff, stay away from hair gels and creams. Instead, consult a doctor and check your own excretory system and food quality,
Are There any Home Remedies?
Yes there are. Do not discard your black dresses yet! Follow one or more of the below to wash away dandruff permanently from your hair and life.
1. Lemon wash – perhaps the best natural solution. Take 4-5 lemon peels and add them to around 400 ml of water. Boil them for around 20 minutes and then let the solution cool down. Use this liquid to rinse your hair twice a week if your problem is not severe or 4 times in case you are a repeat victim. It is also suggested that you cut the lemon into two slices and use one to massage scalp.
2. Neem leaves – another of nature’s gifts. Take a handful of fresh Neem leaves and boil them in water for half an hour. Filter out the content upon cooling and make a paste of the remaining. Apply the paste on your hair and let it fry for an hour. Hair looks healthier and dandruff meets its slow death.
3. Reetha – South Indians use this more frequently than others. It is good in any form – soap, powder or paste. It is suggested to mix paste from Hibiscus leaves and Reetha power and apply on the scalp. Let it remain for atleast 2 hours before washing. This strengthens the scalp, increases density of hair and eliminates dandruff
It is also advised to drink in plenty of water during the day and abstain from indulging in oily foods as a preventative care for your hair.