10 Benefits Of Almond Oil For Skin
Being a highly nutritious food, almond, also called â€œbadamâ€ is well known as the king of nuts. The benefits of almond oil for the skin have been spoken and written about since ages since it is rich in proteins, fiber, fats, minerals, and soluble sugars. Pharmacologically, almonds are beneficial to humans as antidepressants, laxatives, lipid-lowering, antioxidant and immune-stimulant.
This article will give you a brief insight into the benefits of almond oil for the skin along with its other health benefits and how to use almond oil in different ways.
Why Is Almond Oil Good For Skin?
Almond oil is available in two types
- Bitter almond oil and
- Sweet almond oil.
The best almond oil for skin is the sweet almond oil as it is rich in vitamin-E, vitamin-A, zinc, proteins, potassium, and mono-saturated fatty acids. Sweet almond oil can be used as a carrier oil, bitter almond oil, on the other hand, is an essential oil.
- Vitamin-E present in almond oil provides protection to the skin against ultraviolet rays (UV rays) of the sun, prevents skin damage due to sun exposure and keeps the skin soft, shiny and free from fine lines.
- Vitamin-E also works as an antioxidant. It reduces oxidative stress and preserves the collagen layer of the skin preventing the appearance of wrinkles.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in almond oil provide nourishment to the skin and also repairs dry or chapped and irritated skin from sun exposure or use of harsh chemicals.
- A lot of skincare products contain almond oil, as vitamin-A present in it has the capacity to penetrate into the pores of the skin and clear the skin of dust and oil, thereby preventing the occurrence of blackheads and acne.
A common concern faced by people having oily skin is whether almond oil will worsen their skin condition; on the contrary, almond oil is good for people of all skin types and can be used by almost every person as the oil is non-comedogenic, that is, it does not clog pores.
Bitter almond oil, is commonly used only for the purpose of its fragrance and Safety regarding the use of almond oil for skin must be confirmed by people who are allergic to nuts or almonds specifically, as using almond oil may produce unwanted reactions in such people.
Benefits Of Almond Oil For Skin
Ancient Ayurvedic or Indian texts mention the different uses of almond oil for skin and hair. With the growing trend of using natural, herbal or non-chemical based products, natural oils that are cold-pressed or virgin are being employed in the preparation of a lot of skincare products and cosmetics. Some wonderful benefits of almond oil for skin care are
1. Under Eye Puffiness And Dark Circles
Antioxidant activity of almond helps to reduce under-eye puffiness and dark circles.
How To Use
After washing the face with a cleanser, massage under eye area with fingertips using few drops of almond oil. Doing so helps to improve blood circulation in the under-eye area, reduces puffiness and also improves the skin texture.
Being a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin-A, and vitamin-E, almond oil is known to lighten the skin complexion and maintains the skin tone.
How To Use
The application of almond oil on the lips can treat darkened lips. Research on the skin lightening effect of almond oil is scarce.
3. Dry skin
Moisturizing and nourishing properties of vitamin-E and omega-3 fatty acids of almond oil helps to treat dry and chapped skin. Using almond oil is therefore effective in other skin conditions like dry eczema, psoriasis, etc.
Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin-A in almond oil prevents the occurrence of acne by cleansing the pores and improves cell damage due to acne.
5. Sun Protection
Vitamin-E protects the skin against damage and may also reverse skin damage due to exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun. A lot of skin lotions or gels contain vitamin E or almond oil as they have a soothing effect on the skin. Gentle application of sweet almond oil over sunburnt skin soothes the skin and prevents de-pigmentation and excessive scaling of the sunburnt skin.
A study conducted in 2016 claimed that almond oil reduced and also prevented the appearance of stretch marks. Vitamin-E present in almond oil is effective in reducing scars and making the skin smooth and even-toned.
Almond oil can be safely used for removing makeup in the absence of a proper cleanser.
How To Use
A small amount of oil on fingertips can be used to remove makeup followed by gentle cleaning using a face wipe or a piece of cotton.
8. As Carrier Oil
Almond oil, just like coconut oil is an excellent carrier oil. It can be used along with other essential oils like lavender, rosehip, geranium or lemon oil and can be used as an oil-based cleanser or simply for the purpose of aromatherapy.
Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin-E nourish the skin naturally. Few drops of almond oil can be directly applied to the skin after bathing or after washing the face. This works as a great moisturizer and needs to be rinsed off.
10. Fights Infections
The antioxidant properties of vitamin E in the almond oil help to reduce inflammation on the skin preventing or even relieving skin conditions like acne, hives, and eczema.
Besides the amazing benefits of almond oil for skin, it is also useful in maintaining overall health by the following functions
- Reduction of saturated fatty acids
- Maintenance of lipid profile of the blood
- Reduction in blood pressure
- Prevention of anemia and cancer
- Removal of free radicals from the blood
- Cardio-protective function
- Since almond oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, it may also promote weight loss
- Almond oil aids digestion by working as a prebiotic and relieving symptoms of the prolapsed rectum and irritable bowel syndrome.
It has been an old practice to soak a few almonds in water overnight and eat them without the skin the next day. This has been ingrained into our systems by our parents and grandparents right since our childhood, simply because they knew how almonds benefit not just the skin and hair, but also maintain our overall health.