Lemon Water During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is the most beautiful journey a woman can enjoy and at the end of the journey she, along with her entire family enjoys a beautiful gift in the form of a healthy baby. While the journey is beautiful, it surely has its own set of challenges such as morning sickness, restrictions on what can be consumed and whatnot, restrictions in terms of movements, and many more. Continuing on the same line, let us understand whether lemon water during pregnancy is healthy or not since a lot of us have a habit of drinking lemon water in the morning.
Is It Safe To Drink Lemon Water During Pregnancy?
Generally, lemon juice is refreshing and healthy to drink. Such a drink can be taken at any time of the day normally and the drink helps in detoxification and leaves you feeling fresh. But as far as pregnancy is concerned, many will have a doubt of what can be eaten or drink, and is it safe to drink lemon water during pregnancy? Drinking lemon water during pregnancy is apparently safe but should not be over-consumed for the simple reason that excess lemon drink would lead to rapid detoxification of the body and can even increase the acid reflux as lemons are citrus fruits too much consumption of citrus fruits leads to acid reflux and GERD problems.
The situation of rapid detoxification might not be favorable both for the balance of minerals in the body of the mother and the nutrition of the child. Therefore, it is advisable to consult your gynecologist before drinking lemon water during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Lemon Water During Pregnancy
The following are some abundant benefits of drinking lemon water during pregnancy;
Relief from Nausea and Morning sickness especially if lime juice is taken during the early stages of pregnancy (especially the first trimester). This is because lemon acts as a mouth freshener apart from limiting the excess flow of bile in the body. Lemon juice also helps the digestive tract to get rid of the excess phlegm, thus preventing any obstruction and uneasiness.
- It helps in relieving constipation by keeping the digestive tract obstruction-free and helping the liver to flush out excess toxins.
- Helps in curing indigestion by keeping the digestive tract healthy
- A whole lemon contains substantial amounts of various minerals and vitamins such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, calcium, folate, magnesium, riboflavin, and various others which are required to maintain a healthy pregnancy
- It helps in regulating blood pressure by keeping the blood vessels soft due to the presence of various vitamins. This helps in preventing internal hemorrhages while regulating blood pressure and the flow of blood within the body. A pregnant woman needs to check blood pressure and keep it regulated for the healthy development of the baby.
- Helps in keeping a check on cholesterol levels
- Helps in strengthening of bones because of the high vitamin and mineral contents both in the mother and the baby because of its potassium content
- Helps in strengthening the immune system because of the high content of antioxidants
- Maintaining the bodyâ€™s pH levels
- Preventing urogenital infections because of its diuretic properties
- Prevents dehydration
- Lowering stress during labor and thus lemon water and honey is prescribed for consumption since the fifth month of pregnancy
- Prevents edema especially of the feet
- Helps in relieving you from the negative effects of heat strokes
- Can be a good alternative for caffeine
- Lemon juice is also effective in reducing stretch marks, post-pregnancy, and delivery
- Hence, because of the abundant benefits, everyone should include drinking lemon water during pregnancy as part of your life.
Side Effects Of Lemon Water During Pregnancy
The following are some of the side effects of drinking lemon water during pregnancy;
- Dental Problems due to the acidic properties of lemon
- Heartburns and other gastrointestinal disorders due to the presence of citric acid in the drink
- Problems of contracting cold and cough by sipping chilled or cold lemon drinks
How To Drink Lemon Water During Pregnancy?
It is advisable to avoid packaged or canned lemon juices available in the market because of two reasons;
- High sugar content in the packaged and canned drinks which can be detrimental for the mother and the babyâ€™s health.
- Added preservatives in canned and packaged drinks can have a negative effect on the growth of the child.
It is always advisable to drink freshly squeezed lemon juice as they have many health benefits, Drink lemon water without adding much sugar as excess sugar is dangerous to health. Instead, a dash of honey can be added to the lemon water to make it more refreshing and tasty at the same time.
Some of the healthy ways in which lemon juice can be included in the diet include;
- Lemon Juice with honey
- Lemon Tea
- Lemon Tea with Ginger
Precautions To Be Taken While Drinking Lemon Water During Pregnancy
Though lemon has its own benefits when included in the diet, there are certain precautions that should be taken while consuming lemon juice or lemon water during pregnancy. These include;
- Gargling and rinsing the mouth well after consuming lemon drink to avoid the acids in lemon to affect the tooth or tooth enamel
- The intake of lemon juice should be gradually increased in order to avoid complications of heartburn and other gastrointestinal disorders
- Avoid taking canned and packaged lemon drinks and only stick to freshly squeezed lemon juice with honey
- Lemon extracts can be mixed only to lukewarm water rather than boiling water in order to maintain its nutritional value
- Concentration and quantity of lemon juice for pregnant women should be monitored and as per the prescription of the gynecologist only.
- Do not keep away the freshly squeezed lemon juice for later consumption. Instead, you should consume it immediately
The key takeaway is that lemon water during pregnancy is immensely beneficial but moderation is the key, which is one thing a mother needs to learn and practice for her entire lifetime hereof.