Patanjali Giloy Juice Benefits and Dosage Instructions
Ayurveda is the oldest existing science of healing that originated in India more than 5000 years ago. The meaning of Ayurveda in Sanskrit is â€œThe science of lifeâ€. The Ayurvedic system of medicine emphasizes greatly on the prevention of illnesses and maintenance of optimum health with the help of proper diet, lifestyle, right thinking, and the use of appropriate herbs.
In the last few years, natural and herbal medicines or natural supplements have garnered immense popularity due to their health benefits along with ease of availability, low cost, and least possible side effects. A survey conducted by the World Health Organization found out that nearly 80% of the worldâ€™s population now depends upon traditional or herbal remedies for cure or prevention of ailments.
One such herb is the Giloy. It is also called Guduchi in Sanskrit. The scientific name of this herb is Tinospora Cordifolia. This herb is widely used by Ayurvedic practitioners for a variety of disease conditions and also as a preventive in order to maintain good health, hence it is also often called the Queen of Herbs or Amruta which means Nectar. In this article, you can know the patanjali giloy juice benefits and how it can be used.
Patanjali Giloy Juice Health Benefits
Patanjali Giloy is known to possess flavonoids, saponins, and phytosterols, therefore having anti-oxidant properties. Giloy is also known to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-diabetic, immunomodulatory, and hepato-protective properties. Giloy juice is been used in the form of decoctions, syrups, juices, and tinctures since ancient times due to its medicinal properties.
Cold infusion of giloy has been used since ages for chronic conditions of fever and also for different types of fever.
- Strong juice of giloy along with basil leaves is known to provide resistance against swine flu.
- Giloy extracts taken along with honey have proven results in the treatment of malaria.
- Giloy juice, when taken
Juice extracted from the stem of giloy has been used since ancient times for the treatment of gout.
- The giloy has properties that help to neutralize the uric acid in the blood and prevent its deposition in joints.
- Giloy is also known to possess anti-arthritis and anti-inflammatory properties, making it extremely effective in managing cases of gouty arthritis.
Phytochemicals such as alkaloids, flavonoids, glycosides, tannins, saponins, and steroids have the potential for lowering blood glucose levels. An alkaloid â€œberberineâ€ is known to be as effective as metformin in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. Due to this reason, Patanjali giloy juice should be strictly consumed in prescribed doses by diabetic individuals.
Contents of Patanjali Giloy Juice such as palmatine, cordioside, tinocordiside, isocolumbin, tinosporin, and beta-sitosterol extracted from the roots and stem have anti-hyperlipidemic and anti-oxidant properties. Patanjali giloy juice therefore also boosts immunity, improves health, and supports the immune system to fight against various illnesses.
5. Overall Health
Some essential minerals such as zinc, manganese, calcium, potassium, chloride, iron, nickel, and copper provide great health benefits both mentally as well as physically. High alkaloid content has proven to provide a protective effect against aflatoxin-induced nephrotoxicity.
- High fiber and sufficient proteins and carbohydrates â€“ Aids digestion and also useful for people seeking weight loss
- Potassium â€“ Regulation of nerve impulses and optimizing cardiac function
- Chromium â€“ Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism
- Iron â€“ Hemopoietic functions and liver health
- Calcium â€“ Cardiovascular, nervous and musculoskeletal functions
- Improves vision and the anti-oxidants also prevents aging
6. Anti-Microbial Effects
Plenty of research has been conducted which prove the effectiveness of Patanjali giloy juice against infection from the following microbes:
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Klebsiella pneumonia
- Salmonella typhi
- Salmonella paratyphi
- Proteus Vulgaris
- Shigella flexineri
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Enterobacter aerogene
7. Anti-HIV Properties
Juice prepared from the root extract of giloy is known to have an immunomodulatory effect positively in cases of HIV positive patients. The giloy stem is also effective in reducing the eosinophil count and stimulating the action of B-lymphocytes, macrophages, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.
Due to its rich antioxidant properties and known effects on controlling eosinophil count, giloy juice is also known to relieve wheezing and breathing troubles in patients suffering from asthma. However, it must be taken in the proper prescribed dose only.
9. Boosts Digestion
Giloy juice is known for its beneficial effects on the gastrointestinal tract. For this purpose, giloy can also be consumed with buttermilk to achieve maximum benefits. It is also proven to be effective in cases of piles and indigestion.
How To Use Patanjali Giloy Juice?
Patanjali Giloy Juice is generally advised to be taken as follows;
- Take 15-30 ml of Patanjali Giloy Juice and dilute it in a glass full of normal temperature water.
- This mixture of Patanjali Giloy Juice diluted in water can be taken empty stomach in the morning or in the evening or at both times.
- Although consuming Patanjali Giloy Juice is beneficial for health, it is a wiser option to consume the juice only as prescribed by the physician.
It is important to consult an ayurvedic physician before beginning to consume giloy juice since the dose, suitability and effects of giloy juice may vary from person to person.
Since giloy juice is an herbal remedy, it is liable to create both desirable as well as undesirable effects in certain types of people who consume it without an appropriate prescription. This is because unmonitored consumption of giloy juice can cause stomach irritation and constipation. The reason why Patanjali giloy juice should be used on prescription is
- Giloy can significantly or sometimes even suddenly lower blood sugar levels, therefore it needs to be consumed very carefully by diabetic individuals.
- Similarly, patients who are suffering from auto-immune disorders must also consume giloy juice only with prescription as it can make the immune system extremely reactive and may worsen the signs and symptoms of auto-immune disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis or multiple sclerosis.
Special precautions must also be taken in cases of pregnant women and children who have to be given Patanjali Giloy Juice, although there are no documented side effects of it on these patients.